Question Recommended GPU

Mar 21, 2023
Sup, new at this forum, been looking for a new GPU recently, wanted to get some recommendations before buying, of course I am investigating by myself too.

My actual PC:
CPU i5-10400F
Ram: 16 Gb 2666 mhz
GPU: GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Recently bought a 144hz monitor but my GPU is getting far way behind for newer games so there you go.

(Edit)
Power Supply: EVGA 600W White
In-Game FPS Wanted: over 80+ on the lowest Quality
Resolution 1920x1080p
Case: Sharkoon TG5
Max. Length Graphics Cards: 40.0 cm
Max. Height CPU Cooler: 16.7 cm
Max. Length PSU: 20.5 cm
Max. Height Radiator incl. Fan (Front): 5.5 cm
Games that I would like to play: Battlefield 2042, Doom Eternal, those that can run at Low/Med with over 80+ fps would be fine, even that I have a 144hz monitor though.

Honestly I wouldn't care about quality far as it goes with higher framerate, but expecting (for the future) that such games will have even more releases hope to run them at 1080p Low/Med 80fps

Last edited:
My actual PC:
CPU i5-10400F

Recently bought a 144hz monitor but my GPU is getting far way behind for newer games
you will need to include a few things for any viable recommendations:

resolution playing at,
in-game settings you would like to use on the newest / most demanding games,
frame rates you would like to see in any particular games,
power supply make & model you will be using,
is this an OEM retail system or custom built,
what length space does your case provide for installed GPU?

sonofjesse

Distinguished
You left out the power supply.

Always buy the best card you can afford. You don't mention a budget.

I would a a 4080 or 4090 if budget allows :)

I'm going to say your budget is not unlimited so I'm going with a 3060, based on your limited info in this post.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Another important aspect would be your budget for the upgrade.

Put very simply, the 10400 is strong enough to run with pretty much anything, but obviously would see performance being left on the (graphics card) table on the very high end. With that said, it isn't like anyone would mindfully pair a 4090 with a 10400.

My suggestion would be any of the mid level AMD or Nvidia cards, being mindful of power requirements.

Mar 21, 2023
you will need to include a few things for any viable recommendations:

resolution playing at,
in-game settings you would like to use on the newest / most demanding games,
frame rates you would like to see in any particular games,
power supply make & model you will be using,
is this an OEM retail system or custom built,
what length space does your case provide for installed GPU?
Lemme update this! ahha

NaClKnight

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
Sup, new at this forum, been looking for a new GPU recently, wanted to get some recommendations before buying, of course I am investigating by myself too.

My actual PC:
CPU i5-10400F

Recently bought a 144hz monitor but my GPU is getting far way behind for newer games so there you go.

(Edit)
Resolution 1920x1080p
Games that I would like to play: Battlefield 2042, Doom Eternal, those that can run at Low/Med with over 80+ fps would be fine, even that I have a 144hz monitor though.

Honestly I wouldn't care about quality far as it goes with higher framerate, but expecting (for the future) that such games will have even more releases hope to run them at 1080p Low/Med 80fps

Until you provide a locale and a budget, I'm going to recommend the RX 6600 XT based solely on the games, resolution, and framerate you mentioned.

That card works spectacularly as a "i want 1080p mid settings and above with good framerate without thinking too hard about PSUs or budget" card

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022

My actual PC:
CPU i5-10400F

(Edit)
Resolution 1920x1080p

budget?
if you can go up to 400$ a good coiche is a 3060ti/6700/6650xt, they are all about the same range, we have up to 10% difference, till you won t use any rtx feature the amd ones could be the best, if your games have dlss an rt also nvidia could be considered

If you're looking for 80+ FPS gaming at 1080p, then there's only one card worth getting:
ASRock RX 6600 Challenger D 8GB - $225
1080p.png

The RX 6600 averages over 100FPS at 1080p and Techspot uses Ultra settings so at low to medium settings it will probably be hitting 150+FPS if the CPU is fast enough.

At 1080p, your CPU is the bottleneck with the RX 6600. In fact, the RX 6600 even gets bottlenecked at 1080p by the i9-10900K.
This means that, at 1080p, the frame rate you get would be the frame rate that the i5-10400F is capable of, not what the card is capable of (because the card is faster). At 1080p, you would get the same frame rate with the RX 6600 that you would get with the RTX 4090 so spending more than $225 on a card would be completely pointless.

I'd say that this is the ideal card for you with nothing else coming close. I hope this helps! ;)(y)

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
A 6600(XT) or a 3060 12GB would be a good cards for you. The Arc A770 or A750 would be great, too, with the latter being around the price of a 6600XT for around the same rasterizing and better Raytracing performance if you care for that. Drivers also massively improved so popular older games play well on it now.

If you are in the USA, Newegg actually had an 8gb Intel arc a750 by AsRock for 229. If you feel like taking a chance might be worth looking at.
Yeah, the Arc might be a good choice, but I really doubt that it would be a good choice today. Don't get me wrong, I think that Intel's coming along really well with their GPUs and drivers but I would wait another 6 months at least before recommending them to anyone.

Remember, people still throw fits over little niggles that they had with Radeon drivers years ago because they don't know how to work around them. Could you imagine the meltdown they'd have from an Intel driver fail? As funny as that would be, I wouldn't feel very good about recommending an Intel card to someone yet but I'm sure that by the time a year has passed, they should be really good. We know that they have plenty of money behind them.
;)(y)

...looking for a new GPU...

...8gb Intel arc a750...
the 16GB Arc a770 would be a good choice for someone looking for good performance and a decent mix of visuals.

the 8GB a750 definitely offers too little VRAM for most of the higher-end modern titles and those going into the future.
for older titles and low in-game settings though, it could be a very good option.

i've talked to a few current users that have had zero issue with the Arc series and the majority of the series have better than average reviews on retailer sites.
don't listen to ill-advised members that just comment based on YouTube videos they've seen posted by those desperate for views or have only read info on sites that are desperate for clicks, like some that keep interjecting on GPU threads with no actual first or even second hand experience.

TRENDING THREADS