[SOLVED] Recover files from 5/14 diskette from 1986?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petercli

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
I assume a version of DOS was used. Label says Maxell MD2-HD

Is there a service can help ? Or do i just build a dos machine etc. ?

Thanks,Peter

Solution
It may be also used from ZX Spectrum, Commodore or some other computers, popular at that era. But most likely it is used with PC and DOS. You can read it from Windows up to XP or older Linux distros too. Of course it is a question if floppy is still readable, but it is worth to try. Find somebody who have a working PC with floppy drive interface on motherboard and 5 1/4" floppy drive. Motherboard should be made no longer than in mid-2000ies. Then you can boot it in desired system and read your floppy.
It may be also used from ZX Spectrum, Commodore or some other computers, popular at that era. But most likely it is used with PC and DOS. You can read it from Windows up to XP or older Linux distros too. Of course it is a question if floppy is still readable, but it is worth to try. Find somebody who have a working PC with floppy drive interface on motherboard and 5 1/4" floppy drive. Motherboard should be made no longer than in mid-2000ies. Then you can boot it in desired system and read your floppy.

Solution
I created the diskette myself. 1986 was before Windows , must be DOS.
is there a paid service that can pull the files off the diskette ?
The issue you may run into....even if you have the proper setup is....

I think there is a good chance the magnetic media might be degraded to the point it's unreadable.

The reason I say this is....I have machines running where I work than have been running 30 years continuous (except for when I have to repair them).

They have floppy drives.

The floppies I have from years ago are too degraded to use.

EVEN brand new floppies I have that are old.....don't work due to degradation.

USAFRet

Titan
This is the same set of floppies you've been working with since last summer?

Personally, I would stop messing with them and send them off to a data recovery company.
The more you mess with these 35 year old floppies, the more likely they are to not work at all.

The mag coating can and does flake off.
I'd be very surprised if you get more than a 50% success rate.

petercli

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
This is the same set of floppies you've been working with since last summer?

Personally, I would stop messing with them and send them off to a data recovery company.
The more you mess with these 35 year old floppies, the more likely they are to not work at all.

The mag coating can and does flake off.
I'd be very surprised if you get more than a 50% success rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.