[SOLVED] Red CPU light on Motherboard after CPU upgrade - old CPU no longer working either

Mar 3, 2022
I just upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 1600 to Ryzen 5600x on a MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Motherboard.

Tried to boot, and there is no output and the red light indicating a CPU error is on. I assumed I screwed something up and tried my old Ryzen 1600 CPU and the error still remains.

There is a previous thread on the same matters, so I have followed the instructions but no luck. I have tried re seating the RAM and removing the CMOS battery for a few mins and placing it back.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Solution
Well thats the problem. Upon reverting back to my old 1600, the same issue is appearing. i.e. red cpu light and no output.

As stated by Luftij, you may still have to clear your cmos for it to boot, and the initial boot can take up to 90 seconds after you change a cpu. You should either find the clr cmos pins and short them together while having the system fully powered off and either unplugged or with the power supply switched off. You can short them with the tip of a screw driver or some other random bit of metal. Or you can again make sure that the computer is completely off and unplugged or with the power supply switched off and you can remove the cmos battery entirely and hit the power button for 20 seconds to clear the...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

With the processor reverted back to the Ryzen 5 1600, can you try and boot your system and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? You shouldn't be able to just drop in a processor 2 generations later sans a BIOS update. If you must clear your CMOS, disconnect the system from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard, then press and hold down the power button for your system to drain any residual power from the build.

Mar 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

With the processor reverted back to the Ryzen 5 1600, can you try and boot your system and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? You shouldn't be able to just drop in a processor 2 generations later sans a BIOS update. If you must clear your CMOS, disconnect the system from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard, then press and hold down the power button for your system to drain any residual power from the build.

Well thats the problem. Upon reverting back to my old 1600, the same issue is appearing. i.e. red cpu light and no output.

artk2219

Distinguished

As stated by Luftij, you may still have to clear your cmos for it to boot, and the initial boot can take up to 90 seconds after you change a cpu. You should either find the clr cmos pins and short them together while having the system fully powered off and either unplugged or with the power supply switched off. You can short them with the tip of a screw driver or some other random bit of metal. Or you can again make sure that the computer is completely off and unplugged or with the power supply switched off and you can remove the cmos battery entirely and hit the power button for 20 seconds to clear the cmos. After that you need to give it power again, and WAIT, again it can take 90 seconds or so for it to reinitialize so dont freak out if nothing shows up for a while, and dont turn it off until after two minutes or so have lapsed for good measure. Hopefully it will boot after that.

Solution