[SOLVED] Refurbished Peripherals

Jun 3, 2021
I came across a refurbished sennheiser pc37x for 85$ and was wondering is it worth it or is it a waste of money? Also should I consider refurbished products in general or do I avoid them?

Solution
$45 off of 130. I have been known to buy refurbished items and have had no issues, the problem is who refurbished it. I have had GPU's that were refurbished (MSI GT-440) as it had a different cooler on it than stock I would say the fan failed, card still works. a wired headset? probably a bad cable or plug end/mic/speaker, etc. in any case do not buy if they offer no warranty at all. refurbished is usually 90 days. long enough. its a headset putting it through the paces should not take a day.
Be aware what you are buying and the reason for the discount. Either something has failed on the unit in the worst case or someone did not like it in the best case.

look for extended warranties if you have anxiety

Lutfij

Titan
Refurbished devices have always been hit or miss items. Often times they are show floor models with minor scuffs due to handling or often times they can very well be models that were returned due to a defect which the brand or their RMA department couldn't figure out. I've bought a couple and so far they haven't been bad, then again I'm proficient with a soldering iron and a multimeter so I can identify anything that needs soldering, provided it's not a major problem.

I'd say, go for it, considering that the headset is priced higher brand new, off of Amazon. It's a good thing to keep searching, remember to buy once and then move on with other agendas in life. Hence all the research and asking around helps narrow down suggestions or even open new avenues! ;)

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
$45 off of 130. I have been known to buy refurbished items and have had no issues, the problem is who refurbished it. I have had GPU's that were refurbished (MSI GT-440) as it had a different cooler on it than stock I would say the fan failed, card still works. a wired headset? probably a bad cable or plug end/mic/speaker, etc. in any case do not buy if they offer no warranty at all. refurbished is usually 90 days. long enough. its a headset putting it through the paces should not take a day.
Be aware what you are buying and the reason for the discount. Either something has failed on the unit in the worst case or someone did not like it in the best case.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Warranties on refurbished items vary from seller to seller, so it's hard to give a single hard-and-fast answer to this question, even knowing what the item in question is. If there's a short-term warranty on the headphones, then it's a more-than-fair price; if the headphones are functional and working, it's unlikely that the person who briefly used them did anything that would shorten its lifespan. If it's a refurbished item but no returns allowed, then I'm more on the fence about the whole thing.

Jun 3, 2021

It's B-Stock with 30 days return but no warranty

You can find that headphone used (not a refurb) for the same $80 or so price. I buy a lot of stuff used, have had very very few issues with anything I bought. 2 of my headphones I got used and have had them for years now. Since you have a 30 day return windows, I would buy those, the savings is decent enough that lack of manufacturer warranty is a risk I would take. Headsets are pretty sturdy, as long as you are careful with the mic and cords they don't break often.