Question "Remote Desktop can't find the computer" - Need help

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Hi everyone.

I need help getting the Remote Desktop feature to work between two computers. Each computer runs Windows 10 Pro.

I successfully got the Remote Desktop feature to work when I had both computers connected to the same Internet network, however, when I tried connecting one computer to one Internet network and the other computer to a different Internet network, it didn't work.

I got this message, "Remote Desktop can't find the computer [Computer's Name]. This might mean [Computer's Name] does not belong to the specified network. Verify the computer name and domain that you are trying to connect to."

I feel like I'm really close to making this work, except for this one issue.

Can anyone please tell me how to get the Remote Desktop feature to work between these two computers? Again, I got it to work when the two computers were connected to the same Internet network, but my goal is to get the Remote Desktop feature to work between these two computers while each computer is connected to a separate Internet network.

Thank you.

That ^ won't help you much, the issue is that you are not on the same network. So you need to put one of the computers in a DMZ port on the router so you can access it from outside the network or setup a VPN between the two computers, or use a program like LogMeIn or Teamviewer.

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Did you take a look at this article? it could help fix your issue.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/353424/how-to-remotely-access-and-control-another-pc

Thank you for your reply. I looked at the article and tried many different things to get the remote desktop feature to work with Windows software. However, none of it allowed me to use the remote desktop feature with two different computers (with each on computer on its own network). I ended up using TeamViewer which has been working amazingly well.

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
That ^ won't help you much, the issue is that you are not on the same network. So you need to put one of the computers in a DMZ port on the router so you can access it from outside the network or setup a VPN between the two computers, or use a program like LogMeIn or Teamviewer.

Thank you for your reply. A third-party software program (TeamViewer in my case) was truly the way to go in this situation. I tried lots of different things to get a remote desktop connection to work between two different computers (on different networks) before trying TeamViewer which worked the first time I tried it. So far TeamViewer has exceeded my expectations and it's even free for personal use.

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Update: For anyone looking to get a remote desktop connection between two computers, you can easily do so using the software program called TeamViewer. The advantage of using TeamViewer is that you can use one computer to control another computer and both computers don't have to be on the same Internet network. So, for example, you can control a desktop computer in your home that's connected to one network from far away using your laptop which is connected to a different network. TeamViewer is also free to use for personal use with very few limitations on what it allows you to do for free.