[SOLVED] Remove intel stock cooler backplate - lga 1200

2ballerog1pat

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2015
Solution
I suspect that it is some sort of a mild adhesive holding the back plate in place.
If you carefully warm the backplate,(use a hair dryer, not too hot) I think it will loosen enough to be able to pry it off. If fingernails are not enough try to slip a thin screwdriver in to wedge it off.

The three screws you see are holding the mechanism firmly to the motherboard and should not come off.
It looks to me like the backplate has openings for them, similar to most any other mounting mechanism.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Look at the socket. The cpu cover hold down screws line up perfectly with the 3x screws in the center of the stock plate. It might not release with those there. Lenovo is well known to do stupid proprietary things because they do not want you to update with non-lenovo products. I can't tell if those are in the backplate, or in a seperate bracket under the backplate.

But yes, many times stock backplates have a foam adhesive under them because the board is 1-size fits all, the cpu/cooler choice determined later on down the production line.

I suspect that it is some sort of a mild adhesive holding the back plate in place.
If you carefully warm the backplate,(use a hair dryer, not too hot) I think it will loosen enough to be able to pry it off. If fingernails are not enough try to slip a thin screwdriver in to wedge it off.

The three screws you see are holding the mechanism firmly to the motherboard and should not come off.
It looks to me like the backplate has openings for them, similar to most any other mounting mechanism.

Last edited:
Solution
I agree, its possible it is stuck on with double sided adhesive strip. A bit of heat may help to unstick with a plastic leverage stick but maybe it is heat resistant adhesive.
Alternatively, if it was mine, I would push on each of the screw lugs from the top to see if it gradually loosens if I couldnt get a lever under from the underside.