Question Removed gpu to clean the dust and now it doesnt work

Jan 3, 2021
Ok, so this my problem I have been trying to solve for the past 2 days.

I removed the GPU to clean all the built-up dust and now when reconnected it gives a VGA and BOOT red light on mobo. the main thing is that this was all working for 1.5 years until now. When connected the GPU fans run at max and if the pc is turned on for 10 secs longer all the lights disappear. Unfortunately, I don't have integrated graphics to test or touch bios settings.
Have removed CPU and other coolings fans for cleaning also. Tried CMOS reset and changed PSU ports for connection. tried another PCI slot for GPU.
Also I it is not the monitor since it recognizes the hdmi cord.

At this moment all I can think of is a short, but it is very unlikely since the mobo was not touched.
If GPU fans spin max, I don't see how it would work suddenly, and the motherboard seems fine.

I'm now going to try out of case start, but if anyone has any opinions please comment.
Thanks!

System:
Ryzen 7 2700
Asrock 570x Phantom Gaming
Palit 1660 oc (stock)
Twin Nvme 512Gb
650w rosewill PSU

InvalidError

Titan
How did you clean your GPU? If you used compressed air, there is a slight chance that moving air could have generated enough static to zap it.

The simplest way to tell which component went bad would be to transplant GPUs with a known-working systems and see if you get any luck.

FarmerFran

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Try re-seating the card. But before you do

Power down
Turn off switch on PS - if it does not have a switch, pull the plug
Hold the power button on the PC for a few seconds
pull the card and check the electrical contacts on the card and on the MB for foreign objects
put the card back in making sure to verify it is seated properly

Jan 3, 2021
How did you clean your GPU? If you used compressed air, there is a slight chance that moving air could have generated enough static to zap it.

The simplest way to tell which component went bad would be to transplant GPUs with a known-working systems and see if you get any luck.
I just used a brush and air can, I don't believe it is a static issue since its the motherboard not recognizing the gpu

Jan 3, 2021
Try re-seating the card. But before you do

Power down
Turn off switch on PS - if it does not have a switch, pull the plug
Hold the power button on the PC for a few seconds
pull the card and check the electrical contacts on the card and on the MB for foreign objects
put the card back in making sure to verify it is seated properly
I have tried reseating the card, the VGA and BOOT lights just turn o and then off. For some reason, the motherboard is not recognizing the GPU. There is nothing in the slots and nothing is damaged.

InvalidError

Titan
Let's try 2 things. Try a different PCI slot if no go, try using onboard video.
He's got a Ryzen 2700, which automatically means no IGP unless there are motherboards out there with their own on-board graphics as is often the case with server boards - ultra-basic on-board graphics just so no slot gets wasted just to get the system to boot and be remotely managed.

TRENDING THREADS