Removing hard drive from multiboot computer that won't boo..

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a multi boot system with 2 hard drives configured as follows:

I have one hard drive with Windows ME. One partition. Checking in Windows XP
under Disk Managment, this drive is labeled as: Disk2-Vol 1 (C:). Primary
partition. (It, also, states SYSTEM).

On the second hard drive I have two partitions:

a) First partition is Drive D and is labeled as DRV2_Vol 1 (D:) Primary
Partition. (It, also, states BOOT). This partition has Windows XP with FAT
32 format, not NTFS.

b) The other partition on this second drive is Drive E and is labeled as
DISK2_Vol 1 (E:) Logical Drive. This partition has Windows ME operating
system. (FORGET THIS PARTITION AS IT IS MEANINGLESS AND I WILL BE DELETING
IT AS SOON AS I CAN REMOVE THE HARD DRIVE WITH WINDOWS ME (C:).)

I want to remove the hard drive with Windows ME (C:) from the computer, but
I cannot as the system will not boot without it. There is no boot.ini file
in Windows XP (D:) on the second hard drive; the boot.ini file is on the hard
drive with Windows ME (C:).

The boot.ini file in Windows ME (C:) reads as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

(I know, there are two entries for Windows XP; don't know why, but they both
work, and I am sure I could just delete one from the boot.ini file and get
rid of the redundancy. Just haven't done it. On the screen where I get to
select the operating system, there are the two Windows XP (D:) entries and
one for Windows, which is the hard drive with WINDOWS ME (C:).)

My question is what do I need to do to get the computer to boot without the
hard drive with Windows ME (C:) being installed in the computer.

Do I need to modify and copy to / place a boot.ini file someplace in Windows
XP?

Do I need to do anything with a 'paging file'?

Thanks for your assistance.

gman

I would delete DISK2_Vol 1 (E:) Logical Drive and format as a primary
partition and mark it active.
Copy these files to the new partition. This will be the new C:. XP will
still be on D:.

ntldr
boot.ini
ntdetect.com
These are hidden files.

Edit boot.ini.
Reduce the timeout.
Change rdisk to (0).
Remove old drive or change the jumpers from master to slave.
Also, change the other drive jumpers from slave to master.

[boot loader]
timeout=3
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect

--
Ron Sommer

"gman" <gman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a multi boot system with 2 hard drives configured as follows:
>
> I have one hard drive with Windows ME. One partition. Checking in Windows
> XP
> under Disk Managment, this drive is labeled as: Disk2-Vol 1 (C:). Primary
> partition. (It, also, states SYSTEM).
>
> On the second hard drive I have two partitions:
>
> a) First partition is Drive D and is labeled as DRV2_Vol 1 (D:) Primary
> Partition. (It, also, states BOOT). This partition has Windows XP with
> FAT
> 32 format, not NTFS.
>
> b) The other partition on this second drive is Drive E and is labeled as
> DISK2_Vol 1 (E:) Logical Drive. This partition has Windows ME operating
> system. (FORGET THIS PARTITION AS IT IS MEANINGLESS AND I WILL BE
> DELETING
> IT AS SOON AS I CAN REMOVE THE HARD DRIVE WITH WINDOWS ME (C:).)
>
> I want to remove the hard drive with Windows ME (C:) from the computer,
> but
> I cannot as the system will not boot without it. There is no boot.ini
> file
> in Windows XP (D:) on the second hard drive; the boot.ini file is on the
> hard
> drive with Windows ME (C:).
>
> The boot.ini file in Windows ME (C:) reads as follows:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect
> C:\="Microsoft Windows"
>
> (I know, there are two entries for Windows XP; don't know why, but they
> both
> work, and I am sure I could just delete one from the boot.ini file and get
> rid of the redundancy. Just haven't done it. On the screen where I get
> select the operating system, there are the two Windows XP (D:) entries and
> one for Windows, which is the hard drive with WINDOWS ME (C:).)
>
> My question is what do I need to do to get the computer to boot without
> the
> hard drive with Windows ME (C:) being installed in the computer.
>
> Do I need to modify and copy to / place a boot.ini file someplace in
> Windows
> XP?
>
> Do I need to do anything with a 'paging file'?
>
> Thanks for your assistance.
>
> gman

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi, Ron,

Thanks for your response.

Can I place the boot.ini file in D: with the changes you suggest and then
change the drive letter to C:?

I assume the problem right now is that I cannot remove the C: drive because
the boot.ini file is there. Is that correct, or is there more to it than
that?

gman

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> [...]
> > Edition" /fastdetect
> > C:\="Microsoft Windows"
> >
> > (I know, there are two entries for Windows XP; don't know why, but they
> > both
> > work, and I am sure I could just delete one from the boot.ini file and get
> > rid of the redundancy. Just haven't done it. On the screen where I get
> > select the operating system, there are the two Windows XP (D:) entries and
> > one for Windows, which is the hard drive with WINDOWS ME (C:).)
> >
> > My question is what do I need to do to get the computer to boot without
> > the
> > hard drive with Windows ME (C:) being installed in the computer.
> >
> > Do I need to modify and copy to / place a boot.ini file someplace in
> > Windows
> > XP?
> >
> > Do I need to do anything with a 'paging file'?

XP is installed to D:.
The Registry has references to XP being on D:.
The active partition becomes C:.
ntldr, boot.ini, and ntdetect.com need to be on C:.
So, that is correct, but there is more to it.
--

> [...]
>> >
>> > (I know, there are two entries for Windows XP; don't know why, but they
>> > both
>> > work, and I am sure I could just delete one from the boot.ini file and
>> > get
>> > rid of the redundancy. Just haven't done it. On the screen where I
>> > get
>> > select the operating system, there are the two Windows XP (D:) entries
>> > and
>> > one for Windows, which is the hard drive with WINDOWS ME (C:).)
>> >
>> > My question is what do I need to do to get the computer to boot without
>> > the
>> > hard drive with Windows ME (C:) being installed in the computer.
>> >
>> > Do I need to modify and copy to / place a boot.ini file someplace in
>> > Windows
>> > XP?
>> >
>> > Do I need to do anything with a 'paging file'?

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi, Ron,

Is there any way to make D: C:? In other words, change D: to C: and have
the registry record the change?

gman

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> XP is installed to D:.
> The Registry has references to XP being on D:.
> The active partition becomes C:.
> ntldr, boot.ini, and ntdetect.com need to be on C:.
> So, that is correct, but there is more to it.
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "gman" <gman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, Ron,
> >
> > Thanks for your response.
> >
> > Can I place the boot.ini file in D: with the changes you suggest and then
> > change the drive letter to C:?
> >
> > I assume the problem right now is that I cannot remove the C: drive
> > because
> > the boot.ini file is there. Is that correct, or is there more to it than
> > that?
> >
> > gman
> >
> > "Ron Sommer" wrote:
> >
> >> I would delete DISK2_Vol 1 (E:) Logical Drive and format as a primary
> >> partition and mark it active.
> >> Copy these files to the new partition. This will be the new C:. XP will
> >> still be on D:.
> >>
> >> ntldr
> >> boot.ini
> >> ntdetect.com
> >> These are hidden files.
> >>
> >> Edit boot.ini.
> >> Reduce the timeout.
> >> Change rdisk to (0).
> >> Remove old drive or change the jumpers from master to slave.
> >> Also, change the other drive jumpers from slave to master.
> >>
> >> [boot loader]
> >> timeout=3
> >> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
> >> [operating systems]
> >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> >> Edition" /fastdetect
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ron Sommer
> >>
> >> "gman" <gman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

No, if you wish to have the operating system on "C", you must install it
on "C". You can't move it there after installing on a different "letter".

gman wrote:

> Hi, Ron,
>
> Is there any way to make D: C:? In other words, change D: to C: and have
> the registry record the change?
>
> gman
>
> "Ron Sommer" wrote:
>

>>XP is installed to D:.
>>The Registry has references to XP being on D:.
>>The active partition becomes C:.
>>ntldr, boot.ini, and ntdetect.com need to be on C:.
>>So, that is correct, but there is more to it.
>>--
>>Ron Sommer
>>
>>"gman" <gman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi, Ron,
>>>
>>>Thanks for your response.
>>>
>>>Can I place the boot.ini file in D: with the changes you suggest and then
>>>change the drive letter to C:?
>>>
>>>I assume the problem right now is that I cannot remove the C: drive
>>>because
>>>the boot.ini file is there. Is that correct, or is there more to it than
>>>that?
>>>
>>>gman

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, Bob, for your reply. I have seen software that claims to be able to
change the drive letters, but maybe they wouldn't work in my case.

If I copy all of D: to my external hard drive, which is actually my third
hard drive, is there anyway to make D: C: by erasing the drive with D: on it
now, reformatting it(or whatever), removing C: hard drive from the system,
etc. and copying D: back as C: somehow?

Thanks,

gman

"Bob I" wrote:

> No, if you wish to have the operating system on "C", you must install it
> on "C". You can't move it there after installing on a different "letter".
>
> gman wrote:
>
> > Hi, Ron,
> >
> > Is there any way to make D: C:? In other words, change D: to C: and have
> > the registry record the change?
> >
> > gman
> >
> > "Ron Sommer" wrote:
> >

> >>XP is installed to D:.
> >>The Registry has references to XP being on D:.
> >>The active partition becomes C:.
> >>ntldr, boot.ini, and ntdetect.com need to be on C:.
> >>So, that is correct, but there is more to it.
> >>--
> >>Ron Sommer
> >>
> >>"gman" <gman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

gman wrote:

> Thanks, Bob, for your reply. I have seen software that claims to be able to
> change the drive letters, but maybe they wouldn't work in my case.
>
> If I copy all of D: to my external hard drive, which is actually my third
> hard drive, is there anyway to make D: C: by erasing the drive with D: on it
> now, reformatting it(or whatever), removing C: hard drive from the system,
> etc. and copying D: back as C: somehow?
>
> Thanks,
>
> gman

You can do all that but to get XP installed correctly on the first
partition of the first drive, ie C:, you will need to install it there,
not move it from a different drive.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

No
You only have three options,
try the software that supposedly changes the drive letter,
create another C: with the boot files on it and leave XP on D:,
or reinstall XP to C:.
--

> Thanks, Bob, for your reply. I have seen software that claims to be able
> change the drive letters, but maybe they wouldn't work in my case.
>
> If I copy all of D: to my external hard drive, which is actually my third
> hard drive, is there anyway to make D: C: by erasing the drive with D: on
> it
> now, reformatting it(or whatever), removing C: hard drive from the system,
> etc. and copying D: back as C: somehow?
>
> Thanks,
>
> gman
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>> No, if you wish to have the operating system on "C", you must install it
>> on "C". You can't move it there after installing on a different "letter".
>>
>> gman wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, Ron,
>> >
>> > Is there any way to make D: C:? In other words, change D: to C: and
>> > have
>> > the registry record the change?
>> >
>> > gman

Not if you want to use it. Mess around with it all you want, but if you
want a working operating system to be on "C:", you HAVE TO INSTALL ON "C:".