[SOLVED] RENDER PC (Workhorse) 3D/Photoshop ADVICE!

FlewDesigns

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Hi there

so i am a 3D artist and creative retoucher so I work with 3D software such as Maya/Vray for rendering. Recently my 1080ti and i7 has been struggling so thinking of going big!

I know the 3090 is the biggest factor in getting the best of the best and I know the shortage will be a problem.

- My idea was to use my 1080TI in this new rig for the time being until the 3090's are cheaper or available?

So my question is...

The below is the pre-built on overclockers website for £5,180.95 (including 3090 graphics card)

and here...

is the pcpartpicker building it myself price = £4724.95

So... I am thinking is it actually worth just buying it built for the £500 difference? seeing as they have the 3090.

Also! do you think this rig is the beast that it sounds like and will it suit me well for 3D/Render work.

Hard decision!

My other thought was buying it myself without the graphics card and just using my 1080ti in it until the 3090;s are more available and cheaper? what would you do.
its also black friday deals so i can make a few savings.

Thanks in advance.

0d3daaa04db927c8ea7c0524a431acd9.png

Current rig below with geforce 1080ti graphics card

59e3ec9398b688f8feeb524009e60e0c.png

Last edited:
Solution
Hi there.

I use cpu at the moment for rendering using vray which uses CPU preferably. Im not sure how much the 3090 will improve it.

I use textures which are 8k resolution so i believed if i had 30+ 8k textures in a render then the 128gb ram will be able to power it better however i dont know too much about it just basics. we use 128gb in work which i think is why i have chose it?

So just windows 10 is fine then. i have it installed on my current 970 1tb ssd so i could just use that.

here is what i could find vray next benchmarks. https://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/next/cpu

really appreciate the help!
The benchmark results show that your software is CPU bound. You are spending A LOT for a GPU that doesn't seem to...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there

so i am a 3D artist and creative retoucher so I work with 3D software such as Maya/Vray for rendering. Recently my 1080ti and i7 has been struggling so thinking of going big!

I know the 3090 is the biggest factor in getting the best of the best and I know the shortage will be a problem.

- My idea was to use my 1080TI in this new rig for the time being until the 3090's are cheaper or available?

So my question is...

The below is the pre-built on overclockers website for £5,180.95 (including 3090 graphics card)

and here...

is the pcpartpicker building it myself price = £4724.95

So... I am thinking is it actually worth just buying it built for the £500 difference? seeing as they have the 3090.

Also! do you think this rig is the beast that it sounds like and will it suit me well for 3D/Render work.

Hard decision!

My other thought was buying it myself without the graphics card and just using my 1080ti in it until the 3090;s are more available and cheaper? what would you do.
its also black friday deals so i can make a few savings.

Thanks in advance.

0d3daaa04db927c8ea7c0524a431acd9.png
How much RAM can you actually use? 128GB is difficult to use and expensive. Would you be better off with 32GB or 64GB and more SSD storage?
Unless you have a windows domain you don't have to have Windows PRO.
Do you render on CPU or GPU ? Do you have benchmark data to with your software to gauge how much benefit that a 3090 will have over a 3080 ?

FlewDesigns

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
How much RAM can you actually use? 128GB is difficult to use and expensive. Would you be better off with 32GB or 64GB and more SSD storage?
Unless you have a windows domain you don't have to have Windows PRO.
Do you render on CPU or GPU ? Do you have benchmark data to with your software to gauge how much benefit that a 3090 will have over a 3080 ?

Hi there.

I use cpu at the moment for rendering using vray which uses CPU preferably. Im not sure how much the 3090 will improve it.

I use textures which are 8k resolution so i believed if i had 30+ 8k textures in a render then the 128gb ram will be able to power it better however i dont know too much about it just basics. we use 128gb in work which i think is why i have chose it?

So just windows 10 is fine then. i have it installed on my current 970 1tb ssd so i could just use that.

here is what i could find vray next benchmarks. https://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/next/cpu

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there.

The benchmark results show that your software is CPU bound. You are spending A LOT for a GPU that doesn't seem to impact your performance. For the $$$$ you are looking at spending, you maybe should look at Threadripper or Xeon. Both of those architectures have more memory bandwidth.
Have you thought about a prebuild workstation from HP / Dell ? You would get a Xeon W or Xeon scalable.

Solution

FlewDesigns

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
The benchmark results show that your software is CPU bound. You are spending A LOT for a GPU that doesn't seem to impact your performance. For the $$$$ you are looking at spending, you maybe should look at Threadripper or Xeon. Both of those architectures have more memory bandwidth.
Have you thought about a prebuild workstation from HP / Dell ? You would get a Xeon W or Xeon scalable.

I also use photoshop with 30gb + files sometimes. so maybe its best to just use my current 1080ti in a new rig?.

we have 128gb ram and Xeon in work on mac and it is fast with vray.

No i havent thought about the prebuild workstations from hp/dell. to be honist i havent even looked! . This is the thing i need suggestions =) i just don't know enough to figure out what will be the best/most fast system for me.
something like this then? https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=11R16EA&opt=ABU&sel=WKS

My current rig is below so i need to make sure i am not just doing a small upgrade.
59e3ec9398b688f8feeb524009e60e0c.png

Geforce 1080ti graphics card

Thanks.

Last edited: