[SOLVED] Repasting my old GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

archie.ives

Honorable
Dec 15, 2017
Hello everybody, I bought my 1070 Gaming X 8 GB I think about 5 years ago, with Cyberpunk 2077 on the way I want to make sure my rig is as ready as it can be so I've decided to try and repaste my GPU since it's temps are higher then it was when I first got it, I've watched a few videos and bought some paste and cleaning alcohol but was hoping I could maybe get a step by step as a piece of mind type thing, I've seen some people apply a small amount of paste and some people apply a lot, then I've seen people kind of cover the entire thing you put the paste on (sorry don't actually know what it's called) then I've also seen people just put a blob of paste on them put the other side of the GPU back on, I really don't want to break my GPU as I don't have the money for a new one so any advice you guys could give me would be really appreciated, and let me know if you want more information on what I'm asking and I apologise if this kind of thing has been asked multiple times
Thanks in advance

Solution
You only need enough compound to fill the various microscopic grooves, pits & scratches in the two mating surfaces. Anything more will simply act as an insulator and greatly diminish heat transfer. Something the size of a grain of rice, spread evenly over the surface will suffice.
You only need enough compound to fill the various microscopic grooves, pits & scratches in the two mating surfaces. Anything more will simply act as an insulator and greatly diminish heat transfer. Something the size of a grain of rice, spread evenly over the surface will suffice.

Solution

archie.ives

Honorable
Dec 15, 2017
So would you spread the paste after applying or just apply the paste and let the paste squash when you put the screws back in?

archie.ives

Honorable
Dec 15, 2017
Yes, if you remove the heatsink to check your work you must start over. There must be NO air bubbles between the two surfaces and removing the heatsink once installed WILL introduce air bubbles.
okay, so basically I remove the old paste with rubbing alcohol and the scraper, put the paste on (size of a rice grain) then spread it over the square thing, then simply reattach the other side of the GPU, after that will I have to wait till I turn on my PC or can I simply plug it back in and play?

poorbugger

Distinguished
okay, so basically I remove the old paste with rubbing alcohol and the scraper, put the paste on (size of a rice grain) then spread it over the square thing, then simply reattach the other side of the GPU, after that will I have to wait till I turn on my PC or can I simply plug it back in and play?
Umm what do you mean by the last part? Dont install your gpu back in after your pc has turn on.
  1. Clean the old paste
  2. Apply new paste
  3. Install back the heatsink (make sure to remember to attach the fans connector)
  4. Install back into the pc
  5. Turn on the pc.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Not sure i would do it really. You will improve the heat transfer for the GPU, but you will hurt you transfer for the memory and other components as they like use a thicker tape for heat transfer.

archie.ives

Honorable
Dec 15, 2017
He meant the thermal pads which were previously installed. You'll be fine if you dont remove the pads. You can swap them out for better thermal pads like arctic thermal pads or thermal grizzly but in my experience, the stock pads are good enough. So replacing the thermal paste is enough.
So as long as I just clear off the thermal paste with rubbing alcohol should be okay?

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
He meant the thermal pads which were previously installed. You'll be fine if you dont remove the pads. You can swap them out for better thermal pads like arctic thermal pads or thermal grizzly but in my experience, the stock pads are good enough. So replacing the thermal paste is enough.
do they actually transfer as good when reinstalling the cooling? I haven't tested, but really have my doubts. they are plastically deformed when initially installed, so the contact wont be near as good as when originally installed. now I could be convinced that they never did much in the first place, but I've got to think they will become significantly less after a re-install.

poorbugger

Distinguished
do they actually transfer as good when reinstalling the cooling? I haven't tested, but really have my doubts. they are plastically deformed when initially installed, so the contact wont be near as good as when originally installed. now I could be convinced that they never did much in the first place, but I've got to think they will become significantly less after a re-install.
I'm sorry, i should make myself clearer. The thermal paste is for the gpu die. The thermal PADS are for the memory chips. Do not use the thermal paste on the memory. If they're badly deformed, then replacing them is recommended.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
yes, pads on the memory and occasionally some power management bits. They deform when installed and as far as I can tell; not made to be re-used. If you refresh GPU paste, the thermal pads are going to be worse at transferring heat than before you re-upped on the GPU. That has been what has kept me from messing with vid card cooling more than required. Picking up a few degrees wouldn't be enough to get me to start messing with the GPU cooling, because of the pads. Once heat starts really messing with stuff, then you've got no choice in the matter.

Old cards used to have thermal glued on heatsinks for the memory and a separate solution for the GPU, but now its a big 1 piece cooler, so you've got to consider the impacts to everything involved. I don't know how much the memory even needs it. That last card I pulled apart (R7 370) had one bank of chips padded, but not the other bank. one of the covered bank chips was only half covered too. Still, if its not needed at all, why did they partially bother? Is that 1 bank used more? does the other bank get better air flow? the card died early on my, so maybe is that why it died? I have way more questions than answers, so I tend to not mess with what isn't broken. a 5C temp creep is not broken in my mind. If it starts thermal throttling, then the cooling solution is "broken" and needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.