Enfield

Reputable
May 20, 2019
Salvage older system: MSI 7309 + AMD Athlon II x4 620 + 4 DDR-3 Ram + Video Card: ATI Radeon HD-5450 Video.
The MSI 7309 has blown capacitors but still working for the moment. Is there a modern motherboard available compatible with the AMD Athlon CPU ?
If not, can I keep most of my components but change out both Motherboard and CPU? Live in eastern Canada, mail order is cheaper.

Need to rebuild Desktop asap. Win 7 / Linux Mint HHD's. The current MSI 7309 motherboard is quickly becoming toast. Need to salvage what I can.
Have AMD Athlon II x4 620 + 4 DDR-3 Ram + Video Card: ATI Radeon HD-5450 Video. Replacing CP & motherbrd Ok. Suggestions?

Enfield

Reputable
May 20, 2019
Sounds like you just need a basic use system, you can do anything from the same as what you have to anything made since then.
Need a budget and use for the system. What you get for gaming is different than what you need for looking at cat videos on Facebook.

Price is a consideration but reliability and ease of use are much more important.
Up to date basic system may be all we need.
Disgust with Microsoft leading me to add 2nd hard drive with Linux Mint, and keep Win 7 on original hard drive as backup while sorting out what works with Linux.

Software: Microsoft Office 2010 and Machinery Handbook 26th Ed on CD-ROM.

Would prefer to salvage the existing Power Supply (400 watts), RAM (DDR3 4 Gb) and Video Card (Radeon HD5450).

Would like to add more USB ports as there never seem to be enough.

Or take advantage of existing Router (TP-Link-W8968) to use wireless.

Some low key gaming and Facebook.
We watch many online videos and television programming.
2nd user has trouble with shaking hands so voice system may become very important.
The current CPU may be hopelessly obsolete even if it proves to be undamaged.