Question Replacement for noisy Wraith Spire for Ryzen 3400G fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luno

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
Hi,

I just built a system with the CPU / Cooling Combo mentioned. After a few good reviews I thought I'd check out the cooler provided with Ryzen CPUs, but damn, even at 25% that thing makes way more noise than those reviews would have me believe - so much so that I thought I received a defective unit. To be fair, it's not that bad in terms of pure loudness, it's more about the kind of noise it makes. Looking further into it, these noise levels are apparently to be expected. Quite disappointed with that cooler, now I'm looking for a replacement with more acceptable noise levels.

It would be really neat if there was a way to only replace the fan on top without removing the heat sink (which also reviewed well and obviously doesn't have the noise factor; also I'm lazy). Googling revealed a few people with the same idea and some talk about standard 80 mm fans being suitable replacement, but couldn't get a definitive "yeah that fits" statement.

Luno

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
So here's a follow up absolutely no one was asking for, but hey, just in case someone tries to google this:

I successfully replaced the fan (just the fan, not the passive cooler / heatsink) with an 80mm be quiet! Pure Wings 2 and I can highly recommend this. Really quiet even at high speeds and temps under load don't go above low 60-ish °C.

Jan 7, 2020
So here's a follow up absolutely no one was asking for, but hey, just in case someone tries to google this:

I successfully replaced the fan (just the fan, not the passive cooler / heatsink) with an 80mm be quiet! Pure Wings 2 and I can highly recommend this. Really quiet even at high speeds and temps under load don't go above low 60-ish °C.

Hey Luno! Very excited for your suggestion as I had the same problem in a mITX build. I've ordered both the PWM and non-PWM fans to try out. Which one did you use?

My CPU is tightly tucked under the PSU in an Elite 110 case, so the slightly shorter profile of the Pure Wings 2 should also give it a bit more cooling space!

Will see how this goes!!
Chers,
Nick

shovelroud

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
I've also just replaced an extremely noisy Wraith Spire 3400G stock fan (was noisy from day 1, a month ago) with the 80mm "Be Quiet PURE WINGS 2" (PWM model). (Replaced while still in case, CPU heat sink left attached to CPU, very easy to do.)

Now my PC is whisper quiet and temps under full load never get above 60°C.
This is about 3°C higher than the noisy stock fan under full load, for general use temps are similar, but I haven't played with fan curve yet to compensate.

Apr 27, 2020

Hello Luno, when installing the 80mm be quiet! Pure Wings2, did the screw holes match the cpu cooler block? I also want to replace the fan of the Ryzen 3400G by this one.
Thx for your reply!

Apr 27, 2020
I've also just replaced an extremely noisy Wraith Spire 3400G stock fan (was noisy from day 1, a month ago) with the 80mm "Be Quiet PURE WINGS 2" (PWM model). (Replaced while still in case, CPU heat sink left attached to CPU, very easy to do.)

Now my PC is whisper quiet and temps under full load never get above 60°C.
This is about 3°C higher than the noisy stock fan under full load, for general use temps are similar, but I haven't played with fan curve yet to compensate.
Hey Shovelroud,

How did it go? Was the replacement succesfull and did you use finally a pwm fan?
When installing the 80mm be quiet! Pure Wings2, did the screw holes match the cpu cooler block? I also want to replace the fan of the Ryzen 3400G by this one.
Another question, in order to remove the original fan of the Ryzen 5 3400G I have to remove the plastic cover with AMD- logo. Do you have advice how to remove this cover. It looks like I have to click it off, but I don't want to put too much pressure when I'm not sure it's the right way to do.
Another thing, running idle the temperature of the APU goes to 47 - 50 °C. I wonder if this is normal for a AMD ryzen 5 3400G?

Thx for your reply!

shovelroud

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
Hey Shovelroud,

How did it go? Was the replacement succesfull and did you use finally a pwm fan?
When installing the 80mm be quiet! Pure Wings2, did the screw holes match the cpu cooler block? I also want to replace the fan of the Ryzen 3400G by this one.
Another question, in order to remove the original fan of the Ryzen 5 3400G I have to remove the plastic cover with AMD- logo. Do you have advice how to remove this cover. It looks like I have to click it off, but I don't want to put too much pressure when I'm not sure it's the right way to do.
Another thing, running idle the temperature of the APU goes to 47 - 50 °C. I wonder if this is normal for a AMD ryzen 5 3400G?

Thx for your reply!
Well it's been a few months I and I'm very happy with the replacement, really quiet, barely audible.
It's my home/work machine so during COVID it's been in use 8 to 9 hr/s a day and I'm glad I got rid of the old fan noise or I'd be totally insane by now.

I'm using PWM version, the holes matched exactly and it's really easy to install. I did the replacement with the entire PC still all assembled - I just dropped the case side off, unplugged the old fan, undid the 4 screws, put the new fan on and did the screws up & plugged the fan back into the mobo. I didn't have to remove the old outer AMD fan housing (with the AMD logo), I used a thin jewellers screwdriver which I could slide onto the screws and removed the old fan that way...

As I said before the temps are about 5 degrees Celsius above stock but I'm not worried. I've pushed the 3400G pretty hard with some games (O/C the IGPU part a fair bit) and temps don't get out of control. I haven't even bothered with changing the FAN profile to up the FANS RPM - just left it on auto. (My idle temps are around 40C with fan RPM of 878)

Reactions: Wolf66
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS