[SOLVED] Replacement of Intel Xeon E3 1220 cpu

May 7, 2020
I have a friend who has a computer with a pc running his [redacted] system in his pub. The cpu (Intel Xeon E3 1220) is maxed out when running 4x remote desktops (android tablets). I am wondering whether replacing the CPU and motherboard with a Ryzen 5 3600 (or similar) standard chip is a viable option. He wants to run 12x virtual desktops.

I appreciate that Xeon chips support ECC and are used to running for long periods of time, but I'm just trying to source him a medium term solution that doesn't require an IT company.

I'm also aware that I'll need to reload they system with AOMEI due to the hardware change of any potential upgrade.

Any help would be appreciated. For reference, he is using 3rd party software not SQL I believe

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
In order for us to see what CPU options are available for an upgrade, we'll need to know the make and model of the board as well as the rest of the specs. Dropping in a new CPU will require more power in some instances and BIOS update. While you're getting back to us with the motherbaord(and the rest of the specs) you might want to see if the board has any BIOS updates pending. If so, update it to the latest version.

Lutfij

Titan
In order for us to see what CPU options are available for an upgrade, we'll need to know the make and model of the board as well as the rest of the specs. Dropping in a new CPU will require more power in some instances and BIOS update. While you're getting back to us with the motherbaord(and the rest of the specs) you might want to see if the board has any BIOS updates pending. If so, update it to the latest version.

Solution