grahamk

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Hi,

I’m looking for advice on replacing the failed LG GTA0N optical disk drive in my Dell T7910 workstation.

What would be a reliable drive to replace my existing, but failed LG GTA0N optical disk drive? This drive seems to have been discontinued. Besides, it failed after very little use. My current optical drive configuration is:

PC: Dell T7910 Workstation
O/S: Windows 10 Professional
Current (broken) optical disk drive: LG Super-Multi 8x DVD Rewriter GTA0N. The drive dimensions are (WxHxD): 5.0" x 0.5" x 5.0"
Optical disk drive caddy: 3.5” Dell OEM 1B31PR100-600-G (https://www.amazon.com/1B31PR100-600-G-1B31PR200-600-G-Genuine-Dell-Precision/dp/B078KGX3GL/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8). The caddy dimensions are (WxHxD): 7” x 4.5” x 1”. Are there any other caddies that would fit into the T7910 that could take different sized optical drives than the GTA0N?

I would be grateful for any recommendations of reliable optical disk drives that would fit my existing caddy. So far the only one I have been able to find is the LG Electronics Slim DVD Super Multi Optical Drive (GTC0N) on Amazon. Given my ill fortune with my failed LG GTA0N, I'm now wary of LG drives. Does anyone have any experience of the GTC0N?

My thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Solution
I'm a bit confused as to why you are mentioning the 3.5" disk caddy? That caddy is for hard drive. Your optical drive has a 5.25" width.

Your existing drive reads and writes all formats of cd and dvd including M-disc. If you do not need the M-disc capability, there are many reliable optical drives that will work. This open box special is a particularly great deal at $7.05 shipped as it will come with a full manufacturer's warranty:
https://www.provantage.com/liteon-ds-8absh~7LITE0FT.htm

Also, I would not be wary of LG branded drives, or any other brand for that matter. Optical drives became a commodity so they were manufactured for mass production, not exceptional quality. The advantage of mass production is that they are...
I'm a bit confused as to why you are mentioning the 3.5" disk caddy? That caddy is for hard drive. Your optical drive has a 5.25" width.

Your existing drive reads and writes all formats of cd and dvd including M-disc. If you do not need the M-disc capability, there are many reliable optical drives that will work. This open box special is a particularly great deal at $7.05 shipped as it will come with a full manufacturer's warranty:
https://www.provantage.com/liteon-ds-8absh~7LITE0FT.htm

Also, I would not be wary of LG branded drives, or any other brand for that matter. Optical drives became a commodity so they were manufactured for mass production, not exceptional quality. The advantage of mass production is that they are very common and relatively cheap (and extremely cheap if you find the right deal like the one above). I would not write off a brand because of a failure. All brands will have this happen at some point and you will have no more brands to buy from!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution