Question replacing a laptop motherboard with one with different specs

Sep 6, 2019
Hi there..
I have a dell inspiron 15 3542 with a core i3-4005u and no dedicated GPU.
I found some motherboards for sale that are made for the same laptop model but with a core i5-4210u and a gt820m GPU for a pretty cheap price.
so I wanted to ask is it possible to swap the motherboard I currently have with the i5-4210u and the GPU one since they are both made for an inspiron 15 3542?
and I do realize that if I do this I'll have to get a new fan heatsink since the one I have right now doesn't cover the empty GPU slot

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Before you do this, keep in mind,

If you change the motherboard, you may void your Windows activation. So while you'll still be able to have Windows installed, it'll no longer be able to be activated because the key is tied to your PC's hardware. (I recently went thru this when I upgraded from a 1090T to a 2700X system) You may be able to call the activation "hotline" and explain what happened, but more than likely you'll lose the ability to activate your PC. I've heard people have had luck with doing this and were able to "migrate" their license over to the new system, but i was basically told, "nope." lol..

Reactions: hasan majid
Sep 6, 2019
Before you do this, keep in mind,

If you change the motherboard, you may void your Windows activation. So while you'll still be able to have Windows installed, it'll no longer be able to be activated because the key is tied to your PC's hardware. (I recently went thru this when I upgraded from a 1090T to a 2700X system) You may be able to call the activation "hotline" and explain what happened, but more than likely you'll lose the ability to activate your PC. I've heard people have had luck with doing this and were able to "migrate" their license over to the new system, but i was basically told, "nope." lol..

Thanks for replying..
so is it possible to work after swaping it?
since I have some windows activation keys laying around so the activation wont be a problem for me