Justin

hi all

i'm faced with the task of replacing the motherboard in my
computer that has died..

i know XP doesn't like hardware changes.

is there a easy way to replace my motherboard without
wiping my drive ?

thanks for your time

cheers

Justin

If you replace the dead board with the same make/model there
will be no problem at all. If the new board is a different
model, that needs different chipset drivers or if the new
board has different CPU, video, etc you'll need to do a
repair install and possibly reactivate if the system has
changed enough to appear to be a different computer.

see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

see http://www.aumha.org/index.php check the XP section for
WPA and the info on mobo changes.

"Justin" <jcani4@eq.edu.au> wrote in message
| hi all
|
| i'm faced with the task of replacing the motherboard in my
| computer that has died..
|
| i know XP doesn't like hardware changes.
|
| is there a easy way to replace my motherboard without
| wiping my drive ?
|
| thanks for your time
|
| cheers
|
| Justin

"Justin" <jcani4@eq.edu.au> wrote in message

> is there a easy way to replace my motherboard without
> wiping my drive ?

Often you can get away with doing a "repair installation".
Just boot from the WinXP CD. If it's not successful or if
the results aren't entirely to your liking, you can do a
clean installation instead.

This is how I did it. I ended up doing a clean installation
because a lot of my installed software wouldn't work right.

Be sure to back up all your data first. Just to be safe.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Greetings --

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM licenses are not
transferable to a new motherboard), unless the new motherboard is
virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS
version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation
was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a.
in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

important data before starting.

This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call. You
shouldn't have to buy a new license.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 00:27:45 -0700, "Justin" <jcani4@eq.edu.au> wrote:

>hi all
>
>i'm faced with the task of replacing the motherboard in my
>computer that has died..
>
>i know XP doesn't like hardware changes.
>
>is there a easy way to replace my motherboard without
>wiping my drive ?

Insert your XP CD, browse CD and locate Deploy.cab, extract the files
to a folder on Hard disk. Locate Sysprep.exe and run that, select OK
and then select option Factory, shutdown, change motherboard and
restart. Windows will go through a temp setup procedure to redetect
all hardware.

Alternatively, open Device Manager and uninstall ALL motherboard
drivers (esp System Devices) specific to your system. Shutdown, change
m/b and restart.

Otherwise you can try the 3rd method, although this has no guarantee
of working is a Repair Install after replacing the m/b.

Peter Hutchison

He said his mobo was dead. His only choice is to install
the new mobo, boot the computer from the CDROM with the XP
CD in the drive and do a repair install. He should also use
the driver CS that comes with a retail mobo purchase.