[SOLVED] Replacing a mSATA SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sri_8_

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
Hello there,

I'm interested in replacing the dying mSATA SSD in my Dell XPS PC, but I would like to know if there are any precautions I should take prior to removing my old mSATA SSD and replacing it with my new one.

Do I need to back anything up? Turn anything off (caching, etc) before hand? Or can I simply remove it and replace it with my new one?

Thank you.

Solution
It doesn't seem to have any user relevant data on it. Just used as a cache, in the IRST function.
Just replace the physical drive and see what happens.

Sri_8_

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
I think my mSATA SSD is used only for caching.

I very recently (two weeks ago) replaced my regular 2TB HDD with an SSD (which now houses my OS) and I backed up my system when I did that. Now I want to replace my 32GB mSATA SSD. Do you still recommend backing up my docs and software etc? Please advice. Thank you.

You need to backup your personal docs, any software you want to install and their license keys, and prepare a whole new OS install.

Then, buy the correct drive, mSATA not M.2.

Put it in and go through the whole reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan
Oh, I thought it was a regular drive with data.

1. You should always have a backup.
  2. If it is only 32GB, verify first. Power OFF, disconnect that drive, power UP. Does it boot correctly? If so, you can change it without any special procedures.

Sri_8_

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
Okay, thank you.

If, when I power off, disconnect the drive and power back up, it doesn't boot correctly, what do I do? Do I simply re-connect it to get my computer to boot as normal again?

Oh, I thought it was a regular drive with data.

1. You should always have a backup.
  2. If it is only 32GB, verify first. Power OFF, disconnect that drive, power UP. Does it boot correctly? If so, you can change it without any special procedures.

Sri_8_

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
Because I keep getting an Intel Rapid Storage SMART event notification warning me of an impending failure. I researched how to fix it and everything said to replace the dying SSD, so I did but I replaced the wrong one, so I'm still receiving this notification. I keep suppressing the SMART event but eventually it's going to fail completely.

So do I need to make a back-up of my mSATA SSD or can I just remove it and replace it with my new one? And how do I back it up if I need to?

By the way, thank you for your help thus far. I really appreciate it.

Unallocated, and the small size would lead us to believe that is used as a cache drive.

What makes you think the drive is dying?

Oct 10, 2022
I have this exact same issue (Dell XPS 2720).

I understand that the consensus is that I can simply remove the old SSD card and replace with one of similar specs. Would I complicate things by increasing the card size (say from 32 GB to 512 GB) and would that give me a better computing experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.