[SOLVED] Replacing PSU due to failing fan bearing

Dec 30, 2021
Hi people!

The past few weeks I came across the issue that my PSU (be Quiet Pure Power 11 600w) was making weird noises like these:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAiGhn9j45E

After some research, I came to the conclusion that it's likely fan-bearing damage, so I ordered the same exact PSU from Amazon. My question now is if I need to unplug all the cables or even need to remove them before switching the PSU since it's the same model?
I've never done anything like this before so I'm a little nervous about the ordeal.

My specs:

GPU: MSI RTX 2070
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
PSU: be Quiet Pure Power 11 600w CM
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Solution
Your psu has a 5 year warranty, I think.
If still under warranty, start the rma process.
Since you need a psu now and have bought a replacement in the interim, plan on selling the returned unit unopened on ebay.
Dec 30, 2021
I'd change them only because I could never convince myself that the pins inside the old cables would be an exact match for the pins in the new cables. Quite likely, I'd guess. But very bad news if you guess wrong.
Sound reasonable, thanks! Let's see if I don't mess it up :LOL:

crazyal

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
They'll be fine to leave in place. That old fan bearing would probably be fine with a drop of sewing machine oil under the bearing cap, but you've got to take the PSU apart to access it so I can understand if you don't want to do that.

At Least sell it on ebay or wherever as you could still get a good few bucks for it, oiling or replacing the fan takes a few minutes and is a really easy job if you know how.

Dec 30, 2021
They'll be fine to leave in place. That old fan bearing would probably be fine with a drop of sewing machine oil under the bearing cap, but you've got to take the PSU apart to access it so I can understand if you don't want to do that.

At Least sell it on ebay or wherever as you could still get a good few bucks for it, oiling or replacing the fan takes a few minutes and is a really easy job if you know how.

I wish I could repair it myself but the risk of damaging something is too high for me personally, not to mention the risk of hurting myself. I've already told a friend he can have it, he's a little more experienced and surely gives the PSU a second life :D

Dec 30, 2021
Cables have the same pinout.

Why did you buy the same, not that good and to expensive PSU?
Mainly because I got a good deal on it, but thinking about it I'd likely be better off with a different one. Also, it was the only one that had reasonable shipping times (1 day) to my place since I definitely need it before Monday.

Dec 30, 2021
Your psu has a 5 year warranty, I think.
If still under warranty, start the rma process.
Since you need a psu now and have bought a replacement in the interim, plan on selling the returned unit unopened on ebay.
Wow, you're right about the 5-year warranty. I have talked to the seller instead of the manufacturer and they told me the warranty is just 2 years. After your heads up I immediately called BQ and they confirmed it's 5 years. Thanks, man!