Report: Adobe Prepping Lawsuit Against Apple

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I can't believe it took so long for adobe to do this. Now it will be up to the courts to decide whether Apple can legally control their devices as much as they do. I hope they can't.

unless al the websites the apple sheep go to switch over to HTML5 then there is nothing to worry about

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Good... They're clearly just trashing flash because they want people to be limited to buying stuff in the app store and not be able to stream stuff online.

That's the biggest downfall of my iphone. I haven't tried unlocking it... but I sure would like to be able to FREELY surf the internet... I'm spending $30+ per month to access the internet, but the iphone is unable to seamlessly surf the internet and display all available content.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
To me Flash adds nothing to the user experience except intrusive content typically used to bring added attention to advertisements. I am all for seeing this proprietary API just die.

I don't necessarily agree with the way Jobs is handling them, but at the same time I am sure he doesn't want Flash crapping up peoples perception that the iPhone is fast.

HighTemplar

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
even generic phones do support Flash. I really can't understand Apple's decision.
Are you telling me that is going to support Silverlight?!?! :p

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I don't think flash is the reason for the suit, Job's comments about flash are just fuel for the fire. I think the real reason is the recent change to section 3.3.1 of the iphone developer license agreement that now states all applications must now be written in C, C++, objective-C or javascript via Webkit. In other words you can't use tools/engines that write the code for you, like Monotouch or Unity3D which is a pretty large time saver for devs (e.g. it's faster to make a game using Source rather than developing your own 3D engine).

Being able to use these tools/engines also helps to develop cross-platform apps as a toolkit could compile a iphone and andriod version with minimal changes needed. The issue is Adobe was about to release CS5 Flash which allowed you to develop a flash game with the ability to convert it to an iphone program. The compiled iphone program itself isn't flash but code directly executable by the iphone. Tools like CS5 Flash it would allow devs to create a game/app that's both flash and iphone compatible.

By changing the rules and forbidding the use of these tools, Apple is basically trying to hinder cross-platforming (android) and destroy flash as well.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]HighTemplar[/nom]even generic phones do support Flash. I really can't understand Apple's decision.Are you telling me that is going to support Silverlight?!?![/citation]

Well, they are going to support Netflix...

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
The fact is... Adobe do devellopment for support Apple (standard).
Just look new feature in CS5 like compile Flash apps in iPhone apps.

Before SDK 4.0, they're ok. Since, Adobe was totally kick out with SDK 4.0, they must sue Apple. Next step is stop develloping Mac version, change policy, ban mac version, give a limit date to trade Mac version to a PC version, and block all Mac key.

Apple totally block everyone to enter in their OSs.

Next step, block internet to Apple user since they're so closed mind.

G

i reckon it has nothing to do with adobe or flash but secretly Steve can't get anywhere in farmville, flash and adobe just became collateral in his fit of rage....

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
It would be a mistake for Adobe to stop supporting Mac. There have already been talks of Apple wanting to buy Adobe and if Adobe stopped supporting Mac they would lose out on a lot of sales and the stock drop could allow Apple to use their stockpile of cash and buy the company.

Come to think of it... this may be what Apple is trying to do. Badmouth flash so the stock drops then swoop in and buy... I never even though of that before...

onekill

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
No matter what, even if they (Adobe) wants there stuff on Apple's hardware, it doesn't mean anything to Apple. You develop for the iPhone knowing your playing by apples rules. And if apple wants this to not work, then... To bad. There is no kind of lawsuit for not allowing a product (Flash) to work on some other companys (Apples) hardware. If Adobe wants to completely drop apple, good luck staying afloat for long. I'm not for this complication, especially if Adobe is willing to work with them, but if they do lawsuit, it will end in Apple buying Adobe.

G

i think google not to mention MS could make an apple buy out of Adobe uncomfortable to say the least

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I think most people here are missing the point of Adobes suit, and I completely agree with them.

The suit won't be about apple not wanting flash on iphone platforms, the suit is going to be the EULA with the 4.0 software. Lets be blunt here, the EULA is blatently anti-competative, which last time I checked is actually illegal.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]onekill[/nom]No matter what, even if they (Adobe) wants there stuff on Apple's hardware, it doesn't mean anything to Apple. You develop for the iPhone knowing your playing by apples rules. And if apple wants this to not work, then... To bad. There is no kind of lawsuit for not allowing a product (Flash) to work on some other companys (Apples) hardware. If Adobe wants to completely drop apple, good luck staying afloat for long. I'm not for this complication, especially if Adobe is willing to work with them, but if they do lawsuit, it will end in Apple buying Adobe.[/citation]
Again, this isn't about Flash not running on the hardware, it's about Apple changing the rules about HOW you can write the code. Apple has just recently changed the rules, basically screwing over the people that put the effort into developing CS5 Flash not to mention the existing and frequently used tools like Unity3D, etc. These programs allow you to develop in an engine that then writes the code for you. The CS5 Flash iphone applications don't use Flash, you develop in Flash but the toolkit converts the Flash into iphone executable code (basically, it writes the objective-C for you, similar to PC tools like LabVIEW or Mathematica). These applications work just fine as is on the iPhone, Apple is just now forbidding that you use engines to do aid in development (i.e. they won't approve the apps for the app store) and that you must now write the code yourself.

wilhelmjourdan

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Maybe what Apple should do is to make the user decide whether he/she wants to activate flash on there iPhone or iPad and maybe give a warning message that it may cause some problems or something might go wrong if flash is activated and not like this, stopping instantly all support to flash contents. In which somehow rude, esp. to Adobe's part which is the maker of flash.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Waaaaaa, Apple like Open GL and doesn't like our resource hogging advertisement platform, Flash. We are going to sue you for talking trash and force you to put our crap onto your iTampoon and IPhone. We at Adobe and Microsoft with their proprietary Direct X hate HTML5 and the use of Open GL.

onekill

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
This isn't about being anti competitive, as you can take the time and re compile any program you want ( with owner of the entities consent) and boom, there's your *flash* app. Apple doesn't want re compiled straight flash programs for a reason. There 90% of the time crap. Apple has learned from the first round that when you start something huge you have all kinds of bs spawn off of it. The App store when it first came out had 500 flashlight apps. If they allowed this there would be 500 more as everyone will be "hey, i can do this too" Apple doesn't want that again. And if they turn those people down, it will get horrible press. This right now, is OLD news and isn't hurting them to badly

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]Macs don't crash they lock up and you get to see a spinning beach ball for half an hour till you kick the computer.[/citation]
Never happened to me over the last 6years on 4 different Macs.

summitflier

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
What are they suing for? Apple refuses to put Flash on their hardware... oh MY.. that IS a serious offence. I build over 100 websites a year, NONE of them use flash. Big deal...

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
People defending Apple have the wrong idea. Adobe won't be suing Apple because Apple wont allow Flash. Adobe will be suing because Apple is purposefully trying to prevent people from developing iPhone apps using Adobe products. If you cannot understand the difference then you are probably not a programmer. Basically, it is one thing for a company to decide on what code is allowed to run on their platform. It is another thing for that company to even decide HOW that code can be made. Apple has gone to far and they need someone like Adobe to push back.

Status
Not open for further replies.