Report: All Nvidia G84/G86 Chips Defective

Status
Not open for further replies.

random1283

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
I'm not surprised by this. It makes sense that if the mobile chips on that architecture fail so should logically the desktop chips. I have also experienced it first hand. My 8600gt (G84) Gigabyte Silent pipe, Started Making noises from the GPU itself after 1 month and after 2 months it broke completely. I was very disappionted

sphericaline

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
[citation][nom]random1283[/nom]I'm not surprised by this. It makes sense that if the mobile chips on that architecture fail so should logically the desktop chips. I have also experienced it first hand. My 8600gt (G84) Gigabyte Silent pipe, Started Making noises from the GPU itself after 1 month and after 2 months it broke completely. I was very disappionted[/citation]

Last time I checked silicon doesn't make noise. You "first hand experience" had to be a mechnical issue and thus not the same problem as the one mentioned here.

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
So does this mean a product recall ?

Well i own an XFX 8600GT @ 620Mhz (over clocked by manufacture)touch wood its still ok...

But everest give me tempratures of between 50 - 55 degress celcius. Is this one of the issues?

I Hate Nvidia

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Trueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
I had (had) 2 HP laptops ,DV 6599ee and DV6899ee ,both coasted me a fortune,both have the same nvidia disasterus 8400m GS,both now defective.
The problem shows itself as a crash in the OS (regardless of OS type itself) whenever you try to run any Graphics card-related aplication,such as Videos and games,the OS crashes n a message notifys you that ( nvdllmkm has crashed and recovered).
youcan actually bypass this problem by uninstalling the GC Driver,yet,you will notbe able to run any games or videos any more.
Soooooooooooory,but now I really hate nvidia,I had to pay 3000 $ for my laptops,now I just gave them to my chuld n my youngest bro to learn using PCs,n also,I am learning them to hate nvidia!!!!

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
^Inquirer reported G92 and G94 chips as effected as well... but, as others have pointed out in the past, Charlie Demerjian seems to have a personal vendetta against Nvidia. Read some of his other work, its hilarious. To be honest, I'm not sure why the Inq site hasn't been sued for slander yet. Remember when he claimed EVGA was going to "defect" and stop selling NV boards? This guy will exaggerate any story he can to make Nvidia look a in worse light.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
[citation][nom]sphericaline[/nom]Last time I checked silicon doesn't make noise. You "first hand experience" had to be a mechnical issue and thus not the same problem as the one mentioned here. [/citation]

It's typically not the cpu itself, it's the motherboard. A lot of 680i boards suffer from the squeaky cpu problem. I had an old motherboard that had noisy ram slots, it was a commonly reported issue. I don't understand how but its true.

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Silicon will normally not make any noise, but pump enough voltage and heat and it will buzz or "I don't know how to describe it sound". Most people will never ever hear this happening, but some, mostly unlucky, people will get this behavior followed by the component failing.

TheDozer42

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
The Inq is full of !(@*& as always. I stopped reading that trash site long ago.

I've been hammering away at my 8800 for a year and a half, no problems whatsoever. I've never had a high-end graphics card stay on the leading edge of speed for so long (well over a year before they beat it by any real margin!)

It has a lifetime warranty from eVga anyway, so who cares? I'll just get the latest greatest for free when this one bites the dust someday.

I'd like ATI/AMD to survive just to give nVidia/Intel competition, but at the time the 8800 was the fastest thing on the planet by a large margin. 100% solid and reliable for me. =]

Inq shouldn't even be lining the bottom of birdcages, it's that poor.

anhe64

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
extremely disappointing to see tomshardware believe the nonsense of the Inquirer with Charlie Demerjian.

As we have heart today from the CC, the Quarterly results and answers given on the questions asked by the analysts, this is absolutely not the case.

The buzzing is a vibration. The most common cause is the coils in the power regulation system on the card. This is normal as the coils are sold as low vibration. It will vary from card to card since no 2 coils are exactly the same.

My X1900XT buzzes, replaced it with a 8800GTX, it buzzes even louder. so far the 4870 has not made a peep, its just luck. I have a motherboard that does it too.

I never noticed the X1900XT making noise until i moved it out of my Sonata case. so many users with quiet or noise dampening cases will not hear it. Now the 8800GTX lives in a Sonata II and you would be hard pressed to hear it now.

I do not think the buzzing had to do with the dead card, just bad luck.

sgmeridian

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
This report is completely false. Listening to the Q2 2009 Conference Call today, Jen-Hsun answered point blank that this issue was only with the notebook chips that they had earlier identified to be defective and thus took a $197 million write down for Q2.

Unless he would like to be thrown in jail by the SEC for saying something completely blatantly wrong to Nvidia shareholders, the real press (unlike The Inquirer) and analysts and then hiding an issue that's much more severe (all desktop GPUs in the G84 and G86 family being defective), I'm pretty sure it's just Charlie's vendetta against Nvidia at this point.

G

@sgmeridia of course the "whoop ass"-man says the desktop chips all ok. If he would admit it the stocks would plummet and nvidia should immediately prepare for huge refunds.

klemkas

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
well maybe it's not the GPU problem, but the cooling. because my dell xps laptop started to act strange, downclocking and laging games after half year of usage. i did my research, and found out that the CPU unit was overheating, not the GPU. i dissasembled the laptop and the thermal paste on cpu and gpu was all dry, so i replaced it with new paste, cooling problems solved, and all went ok again.

have to agree with random - i had alot of high pitched electrical sounds coming from alot of 8600's (perhaps one of the resistors, but only ever seen on the 8600's and one 7600GT - DEFINITLY NOT A FAN OR VIBRATION NOISE, and was even louder during 3D load) and just yesterday yet another dud 8600GT (asus this time) and when they were first out we had a large batch of dead albatron 8600's, at first we blamed albatron and they were releasing new revision cards every few weeks (different coolers, pcb designs etc) it was odd but now it makes sence.

...... This cant be good for Nvidia

oh, not to mention the large batch of dead hp's which oddly all had Nvidia chipsets or GPU's, and today the first 9800GTX+ i used in a build was a dud - failed after installing vista (30 minutes) - asus branded.

Failure rates for the 8600's are the worst i have ever seen, but as for the rest of the series from various brands, no wide spread failure, couple of ASUS/HP 7200/7300's (hp uses asus - poor hp dont have much luck...)

sgmeridian

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
@crapvidia - Actually, he would go to JAIL for covering this up if indeed it was a much larger issue. I would also be very pissed as a shareholder.

Status
Not open for further replies.