Report: AMD Cutting Up to 30 Percent of Global Workforce

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I don't see why everybody gets upset at Rory Reed over this. Rory understands that AMD is spending too much money on too little product. Odds are the jobs cut will be mostly non-essential. This happens in every company from time to time. They're just cutting the fat so they can spend the money where it'll do the most good.

garrick

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
From my perspective I think AMD shouldn't be cutting back on advertising as it's already pretty nonexistent on the PC side where the general public is concerned.
Most novices automatically go to Intel because that's all they see and in the graphics area Nvidia is also looked as superior for some reason.
Within my circle of friends I've suggested AMD builds for both CPU's and GPU's and I've gotten no complaints about the quality as of yet.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Their CPUs are fine. Never had a problem with one (I buy both brands). They don't perform as well, but you don't pay as much for them. It's a pretty simple concept. Just because your $125 i3 doesn't perform as well as a $300 i7, doesn't mean it sucks. Same goes for AMD's processors.If AMD goes under, Intel will slowly raise prices and gouge customers while posting record profits all while cutting back in R&D, delaying new releases and cutting corners on quality. That's not to say Intel is some evil company, all companies do this sort of thing when they gain dominance.[/citation]I am not gonna worry about that part, at least by the look of it, the market is already moving to Mobile and towards tablet/phone with ARM getting more powerful for casual use everyday. Intel would be foolish to think they can make all desktop/laptop Apple pricing without losing share to ARM.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
This happens a lot in the world today unfortunately. And it's a grossly american thing the way they do it. In most other countries if things are going poorly, the Ceo, and execs will take a pay cut, before they'll cut work force. Here it's the execs still get paid millions through salary and stock options, and the worker bee's get cut loose. There's no long term planning or thinking anymore. Just what will this net me next quarter or in the next year. Not, how is this going to effect the company when things pick back up, or 3 or 4 years from now when we need people to make a competitive product.

Noone thinks of the economic impact anymore. The, well if fewer people are working, there are fewer people able to spend, which cuts companies incomes, tax revenue etc, around the board. And if people know said changes are coming in a company, they're going to be less willing to spend on non necessities, until they get canned. I've said it before, it's the corporate mentality holding the worlds economy hostage, till they get 0 taxes and free slavery.

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
[citation][nom]markem[/nom]AMD BOARD MEMBERS IS KILLING AMD SLOWLY BY SUCKING IT DRY AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.. oops sorry for CAPSRory Read & Board Members will not be touched as usual... that just shows AMD will die a slow death by sacking engineers instead.. clever move by Rory and board[/citation]

The old senior leadership team has been completely removed within the last year and replaced with competent people. Read did not cause the ship to start sinking. He is simply trying to save it from going under. Right now, amd is not selling enough product to employ its staff. The two options are to keep losing money until you go out of business or cut staff and become profitable.

G

AMD iis ripe for a buyout by a private equity firm. AMD for its x86 license, and leading GPUs should be enough to keep them from ever going under! AMD should try to combine an ARM processor with their GPU technology to compete with Intel in the low power arena, this should allow AMD's fab partners enough time to catch up to Intel's lead in chip fabrication process technology, witch is allowing Intel's x86 to compete with ARM in power usage. AMD should also consider a partnership/support agreement with Adapteva and their Epiphany Multicore IP, as a ultra low power/cost way to compete with Intel's xeon phi.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]Flexxar[/nom]The old senior leadership team has been completely removed within the last year and replaced with competent people. Read did not cause the ship to start sinking. He is simply trying to save it from going under. Right now, amd is not selling enough product to employ its staff. The two options are to keep losing money until you go out of business or cut staff and become profitable.[/citation]
Firing engineers which AMD desperately needs to catch up with or at least not fall further behind Intel is not a particularly smart move. There is also no guarantee that AMD's veteran engineers will want to come back once AMD needs them again.

While firing engineers may allow AMD to live a little longer, it may also severely impact AMD's future marketability and simply delaying the inevitable.

Hmm, that's what some people were saying 5 months ago when it was down to $6, and 2 months ago when it was down to $4.

Q4 is not shaping up well for sales either according to the rumors. So I'd advise waiting at least for the Q4 guidance during the conference call next week. My feeling is that it'll go down close to $2 after the Q3 numbers are out and after the Q4 guidance..

According to S/A, about a third of the engineers are getting laid off. Not good for future R&D and thus AMD digs itself into a deep hole which will take years to recover from..

[citation][nom]fazers_on_stun[/nom]According to S/A, about a third of the engineers are getting laid off. Not good for future R&D and thus AMD digs itself into a deep hole which will take years to recover from..[/citation]

So to spin off a story, personally I don't believe AMD's workforce has 30% engineer foundations so I really doubt that very much, last article a few weeks back said AMD had cut the 11000 odd workforce down to 9000 thereabouts of which something like 300 where engineers, if this cut is going through I will say maybe 5% will be engineers or senior management, the rest of the workforce can be trimmed to meet operational requirements. Sadly this is normal in current global economic meltdown.

G

not surprised, its market correction anyway. amd will shrink even further, intel wont realy benefit much either n is instead concern about the shrinking market of pcs. on the other hand ARM is not only doing very well but will grow as it has alot of room to grow.

hannibal

Distinguished
I am old enough to remember time when there was not competition... Intel CPUs were extreme expensive. Only those slow and "cheap" was really available to normal customers... I don't want that time back...

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
AMD 2.74 downfrom under 4/ nvidia 12. / intel 21. i think the numbers and values speak for themselves.

amd is just doing a horrible job, the "new" direction and "new" management aint working.

I still think its all on purpose amd being horrible etc because other groups want the saudis to sell their stake in the company.

G

[citation][nom]axehand13[/nom]Sounds like a good time to buy some AMD stock at $2.74 a share.[/citation]

If you wait a few more weeks it'll be even lower. Look at the linear down slope for the past few months. They are very cyclical and predictable with product releases and stock price correlation! Easy way to make money...

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
just sold my last AMD unit, 980BE on AM3+ 990FX board.
all gone, bye-bye and I don't do Radeon anyways.

sorry to see you go like this AMD the consumers do need you around.
but the mistakes you have made over the past two years is enough to even sink the US-Republican party.
(I like that idea BTW..)

if it wasn't for the APU then your processor desktop dept would be done in.
HD Radeon is saving you overall by supporting all other mistakes including your weak ass RAM project.

time to blow up AMD and have a fresh start with new Board of DIRECTION..

jdwii

Splendid
Since Amd plans on keeping this module design and is cutting Engineers now and still wait on Globalfoundries. Instead of releasing Enhanced bob cores on old fabrication they need to use TSMC 28nm i don't think their future is so bright but keep this in mind everyone most of Amd's future didn't look too bright if they made it through the 1970-1995 they can make it through this.

beenthere

Distinguished
AMD is NOT cutting it's workforce by 30%. They are cutting approximately 10% of their worldwide workforce. Some specific areas/departments of the company may lose up to 30% of that dept.'s staff, but AMD is not cutting 30% of it's workforce.

Perhaps the next hot rumor news story will be titled: Intel to cut up to 99% of their workforce... because up to 99% could be 5, 10, 20 or 99%, DUH.

It's poor journalism to start false reports and get people all excited over nothing.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]beenthere[/nom]It's poor journalism to start false reports and get people all excited over nothing.[/citation]
Hate to reiterate, but that's what the News staff on Tom's does best. Little to no journalistic integrity.

halcyon

Splendid
It seems like there is never any good news about AMD anymore. I know the economy is bad but weakish products, workforce cuts, throwing in the towel against Intel (and yes, that's how it appears)...not good. Tiring in fact. No one likes bad news all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.