Report: AMD Cutting Up to 30 Percent of Global Workforce

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
blah, blah, blah.
AMD is showing improvements in APU, CPU, and GPU.
AMD is still my brand.

So? They save money by cutting expenses, other employees pick up the slack and life goes on.
Moral of the story: Cut back the fat, trim down and haul ass at productivity to keep your job.
Innovate, Create, and kick butt!

Life goes on and AMD fans will be AMD fans.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
They need to move the Fussion line to Android Tablets. Fusion is their way back.

I have high hopes for Fusion. I would hate to see the technology exploited by some other company that did not have the vision, but is only opportunistic.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hopefully cutting some of the fat can make them more nimble. Sometimes you have to tear it down so you can rebuild it...

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Sadly i started building pcs like 3 years ago, i saw phenom x4 and i was truly amazed by how amd managed to compete with intel in price-performance. The last Cpus made one point clear, amd cant withstand a Fight with intel in raw power only. I see Amd taking the lead in the next years, Their Apus are gonna change everything. Just imagine, getting 7750 power on a cpu. I Bought a laptop with a I5 and radeon card, and my brother got an a8 4500m, And i can say, the diferrence is about 6-12 Fps. Gaming on tablets with ultra settings, on phones, or in Ultrabooks its not a dream anymore, i see the future when we will ask in the forums for a Slim gaming notebook and i bet it will have an Amd Chip.

hannibal

Distinguished

ARM can compete Intel in mobile platform...
/sarcasm on "But who needs desktop computers in anyway..." /sarcasm off

So if this keeps on going. Low power, cheap CPUs will reamain cheap. powerfull desktop prosessors will rice in price...

G

I think sandy bridge is still at least 10 times to slow... and now AMD is concentrating on tablets or lower end....

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

in who's world.? not this one..

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
they have to sacrifice the 30% workforce for save the 70%, if they don't it, later the 100% may loose their jobs....... as the APUs are getting better and better, i think AMD will recover back soon

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]nieur[/nom]they need to invest in their own fab[/citation]
each shrink costs BILLIONS. they couldnt afford it before, and now each shrink costs more than the last. There is a reason why 3rd party companies are still pushing 130nm and 90nm (VIA)

[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]I don't see why everybody gets upset at Rory Reed over this. Rory understands that AMD is spending too much money on too little product. Odds are the jobs cut will be mostly non-essential. This happens in every company from time to time. They're just cutting the fat so they can spend the money where it'll do the most good.[/citation]
He is the higest paid in AMD. Do you know how many R&D jobs can be saved my cutting back his pay by 10% or even 20% Thats still over $900,000 and $800,000 a year before stock options. How much do they pay their overseas engineers? I think $200,000 can pay for several. I think he has a plan and has hired good people but now many engineers does it take to develop an idea one of the lead people come up with?
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]I am not gonna worry about that part, at least by the look of it, the market is already moving to Mobile and towards tablet/phone with ARM getting more powerful for casual use everyday. Intel would be foolish to think they can make all desktop/laptop Apple pricing without losing share to ARM.[/citation]

It will not take Intel that much to stay ahead once they get power down. Their top end procs are alot faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.