Report: Apple Tablet to be "Shockingly" Cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Cheap is different depending on the person. Without a figure this is rather pointless.

And if it even it were my definition of cheap, I still wouldn't buy the Apple tablet. Because we all know it will have the infamous Apple tax.

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Well, from what I've assumed it's purpose to be(oversized iPod Touch) I can't imagine it would cost TOO much. I think Apple learned a lot from the pricing of it's first iPhone.

pullmyfinger123

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I think the guy didn't quite finish his sentence, he probably meant:

"I was shocked at how cheap the price point is going to be...if I owned my island nation."

or "I was shocked at how cheap the price point is going to be...after the 99% off from my apple employee discount."

or "I was shocked at how cheap the price point is going to be...when I'm only daydreaming on owning the tablet."

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I think Apple learned a lot from the pricing of it's first iPhone.

the iPhone thing is different because the cost gets subsidized by At&T.

I'll be very curious to see what price point they hit with this. 800$ actually would be a shockingly low price point to me, depending on specs. Most windows based tablet PCs fall in that range, and those are the cheaper ones. For apple to sit in the same range with their generally higher than average laptop build quality would be surprising.

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Probably means the hardware is comparable to the iPhone/iPod touch just with a larger screen area. I wouldn't be surprised if it uses the same guts, since that would probably be the cheapest way to go.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
This tablet is apples response to the stupid netbook craze. I'm guessing that means $450-599. Apple bought that processor company a few years ago to prepare for this--that's why they will be able to afford to keep prices down.

There wont be the demand for this that there was for iphone-- so they will have to price competitively to establish a market. They will need to get developers, and publishers on board with making programs for it like the app store.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
When your talking Apple products 'cheap' generally means 'close to affordable'.

I was going to Tablets have been and gone and Apple on this occasion are behind the times but you can't ignore Apple recent track record of launching successful products and maybe this Apple branded Tablet might be just work (it certainly looks the part as is the case with most Apple products).

Although Apple products always look great I just help but feel I'm expected to pay a premium just for the way it looks.

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]necronic[/nom]the iPhone thing is different because the cost gets subsidized by At&T. I'll be very curious to see what price point they hit with this. 800$ actually would be a shockingly low price point to me, depending on specs. Most windows based tablet PCs fall in that range, and those are the cheaper ones. For apple to sit in the same range with their generally higher than average laptop build quality would be surprising.[/citation]

This is just my speculation but I do believe Apple had a hand in the original iPhone's pricing.

As for the "tablet"... Once again this is simply my own speculation but I feel it will be something closer to the iPod Touch than an actual laptop. I would guess it to have perhaps a Cortex-A8 based CPU in the 800Mhz to 1Ghz range, and have additional features like some form of video out and be able to do minor office work/presentations.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Hey if you are rich, $7 burger sounds super cheap because you used to pay $20 for a meal... however for a poor person, $7 burger does not sound cheap at all.

Stupid Albrecht.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I wanna play too...

"I was shocked at how cheap the price point is going to be... Jeeves, please bring the Bently around and drive me to my private jet. I have to be in Dubai to meet the Sheik."

evolve60

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
So... not only the thing will be "Cheap" by apple standards in terms of pricing, and the rate of which Iphones/Touchs explode, were just paying for an over-sized grenade that could potentially explode at anytime, but the only difference is your getting an apple branded grenade.

G

Shockingly cheap would be $50. I wouldnt pay $50 for it tho, thats too much; as i have exactly zero use for a tablet.

[citation][nom]necronic[/nom] Most windows based tablet PCs fall in that range, and those are the cheaper ones. For apple to sit in the same range with their generally higher than average laptop build quality would be surprising.[/citation]

You're forgetting, though, that those same-priced Windows based tablet PCs also function as fully-fledged notebooks with real keyboards - unlike this Apple tablet, which is an oversized iPod touch with some more advanced software.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
I have a question. Why? What can said tablet do that my multi-touch netbook cannot other then look 'cool' and attract unwanted attention? What possible purpose or unserved market niche would it target? This is the biggest issue with this launch - apples other products have at time been revolutionary. the ipod, iphone come to mind. This is evolutionary at best, and even then not much - more of a 'me too'! The only folks going for this are the image conscious ones that buy Apple products anyway. Granted, that is a built in and captive audience of a respectable size, so I'm sure it will do well.

http://crewnet.vanguard.com/workpractices/conduct/professionalism/electronic_communication_policy.html?from=Search&searchQuery=electronic%20communication%20policy

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
to add to the post above at 12/03/2009 9:04 PM (where is the time zone of this server anyway?!)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Status
Not open for further replies.