Report: GTX 880 PCB Pictured

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if GTX880 will be a GM104 chip and not a flagship GM100/110 chip then its obvious that it will be cheaper like GTX680. Around $500.
At $500 is cheaper than GTX780ti and it should give more performance (around 30% I believe which would come with the greater perf per watt, moar cores and with what GTX750 showed us, more Hz..).

Lutfij

Titan
Must be a cream of the crop edition card since from the picture it will need 2x8pin connectors and a 1x6 pin connector. Oversized PCB like the EVGA KPE card.

Please pass the salt shaker!

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
4GB is entry for today's high GPU bandwidth games like Watch Dogs, thanks to console's unified 8GB memory, games are using more and more GPU memory. I expect nothing less than 6GB, most likely 8GB.

4GB is entry for today's high GPU bandwidth games like Watch Dogs, thanks to console's unified 8GB memory, games are using more and more GPU memory. I expect nothing less than 6GB, most likely 8GB.

Thats... Not right at all. Just because a console has 8gb of vram doesn't mean it has anything close to the power required to fill it up, most of its used for other things, remember its shared with system ram.

Sir, please don't try to match console entire memory to just gpu memory on a PC nor how games run on a PC and game console.

xbox one and PS4 uses that same memory for both graphics AND cpu while modern high end PC's have it separated.

Also games on these 2 different systems are programmed to take memory from both vram and system ram for the pc vs these game consoles.

On top of that, just because you have "X" GB's of memory for gpu, doesn't mean that a system is able to utilize it effectively....

For example.... GTX titan black vs GTX 780 ti..... 6GB of memory in the titan black and yet has hardly any performance improvements over the 780 ti.....

Kieran Warren

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

3GB is reserved for the operating system on Xbox, thats already down to 5GB, then there is the regular RAM, that is about 1.5GB-2GB for a high end game, so thats 3GB used for VRAM.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Both the PS4 and Xbox One can't access more than 3.5GB of RAM for game related operations. One of the two is actually less than the other by 512MB, but makes up for it with virtual memory to market it as the same stat. I won't say which because I don't want console-fan flame war, but it isn't the one you are thinking.

So no, no matter how unoptimized a "next-gen" port is to PC you won't see 8GB of VRAM usage. At maximum you would be looking at 3.5GB. That said, I won't be buying Maxwell without at least 6GB of VRAM for higher resolution gaming.

Yea people shouldn't think about the consoles really with this. For the RAM in them, it is 8GB of total system RAM, and it doesn't all go to the GPU so it will have less effect on RAM usage for desktops than massive RPG games do. Still I wouldn't be so surprised to find a high end GPU with 6GB. Titan already has that so its possible Nvidia is trying to stick their top end card with 6GB, but a lot of companies will probably make 4GB versions.

As for the pictured GPU above, I kind of wonder if it isn't a dual GPU board. It has a lot of RAM and a lot of power flowing into it. I kind of think maybe all that blurred images and the back side of the card might be hiding a second GPU, and this is actually going to be something like the GTX 890

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
It should have as much vram as it can handle as far as I'm concerned. I'm not paying $700 for a gpu that has less vram than it could have had, even if I don't need it.

We need hardware to be overkill so it can trickle down faster and force development to make use of said overkill hardware. Pc users always cry about more cores and more ram and then claim they are some master race. Lol. Stop crying about better tech.

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
With AMD giving us 512-bit memory buses on their high end cards and even 384-bit on their [now] upper mid-range cards since the HD7xxx series, why would Nvidia still only offer up a 256-bit bus on what is supposed to be the flagship of the 8-series Maxwells? Why not at least match the 384-bit bus of the Titan (and its variants), the 780 and 780ti?

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I really hope the 880ti has 8GB of ram and only on the GPU side. I want to see optimal cooling. I need to replace my gtx680's badly and so far nothing seems tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.