Report: Next iPhone Could Feature Curved Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

guvnaguy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I can see a screen size increase, but not curvature.

If they did, however, I can guarantee it will be the next 'big innovation"

wait a minute....

InvalidError

Titan
If I had a curved phone, I would be worried about cracking it by crushing it between two relatively flat surfaces. Unnecessary curvy devices annoy me since they do not stack or pack very well/safely/efficiently.

if it doubles as a mouse, it would be fun to put an expensive phone on its face and drag it around a surface.

my take, the technology is here, they just need to think of creative ways to use it.

audiophillia

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
NOOOO. I have been using iPhones because of the smaller screens and powerful hardware. God I am getting tired of the huge phones seriously. I remember a time when we made fun of the iPad saying it was just a big ass iphone. Now look at use with 4.7 in phone everywhere.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I do not like having hard buttons right on the screen which eats up screen real estate. So if they get rid of them and full the screen all the way to the bottom it can make the phone a little bit smaller.

I look forward to the day when the screen is boarderless.

andry0187

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

Fo hype for sure.
It's a curved phone. OMG!!!
Me : What does it do?
It's a curved phone.
Me : Yah I Know, what does it do?
It's a curved phone.
Me : :no: Never mind then.

InvalidError

Titan

Nah, pegasus feathers - if the phone can fly, people won't need to carry it or worry about dropping it. No need to worry about the size and weight quite as much either!

guvnaguy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

There's a BIG (no pun intended) difference between a 5-inch phone and a 9.7-inch tablet.

Some people like big screens, and some don't, but I think the overall preference is towards bigger, mainly because most people use two hands to operate their phone anyway, so being small enough to use with one hand isn't a necessity.

guvnaguy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Supposedly it would conform to your face and/or pocket better. Also, it's sort of a technological stepping stone towards developing truly "flexible" phones

And, according to this article, they have the potential to greatly reduce or eliminate screen reflection (especially outside)
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/10/why-samsungs-curved-smartphone-display-isnt-just-hype/

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I've been using a Note 3 (pants) and an HTC One for the last year because I got fed up with Apples smaller screens. That said I would move back in a flash if they produced something with a reasonable sized display. However, the curved phone idea is really putting me off! Why would I be happy to move back to iOS? Because I am a developer and I can develop much better apps on iOS as Android is crap for audio and midi. In general iOS has a much better standard of app which reflects the ease of which we can develop on this platform and how much better performance we get from it. For now I'm suffering Android, and over my animated wallpapers, widgets, and poor stutters/Mb of memory. A good experience is more than a phone full of gimmicks (Samsung).

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Why do we need curved phones? I don`t get it? Besides being different from what we have today, why would i be interested in something that is so small and has a curved screen. I would understand it if it was a 27"+ screen ... so that it surrounds my vision, but from a small device like a phone ??? To me is as useless as putting ridiculous resolutions to 4" phone screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.