Report: No Service Pack 2 for Windows 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]heroz0r[/nom]I'm not talking exactly about the SP1, but "Apparently, Microsoft plans to keep updating Windows 7 with patches every month until Windows 7 support comes to an end."I'm agree with you opinion w7 sp1 works great and I will not change.[/citation]
I personally don't have anything against Win 8. Most the negative stuff is just people afraid of change. That said, I have no plans to get Win 8 unless I get a tablet or phone.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Why does this not surprise me. thank you STEAM for supporting OS X and soon Ubuntu. I only use Windows for gaming right now and soon MS will not be in my house. Long Live Open GL.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]heroz0r[/nom]They force us to use Windows 8...[/citation]
They tried this crap with Vista, MS refused to allow XP to run DX 10, had to buy Vista.
F off MS.

geost91gr

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Well, I hope it doesn't need one. Plus the fact that stopping support for a product doesn't take away its functionality. I still use Win98 for some computer-controlled industrial equipment and WinXP for some old PCs I have in disposal. And Win98 support stopped 6 years ago.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Exactly how is the lack of a service pack, MS trying to force people to upgrade? Vista got DX11 without the need for a service pack but instead through a platform update. MS announced prior to Vista's launch that service packs would no longer contain "new features"....

[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]They tried this crap with Vista, MS refused to allow XP to run DX 10, had to buy Vista.F off MS.[/citation]
WindowsXP didn't get DX10 because it would have required an update to the OS kernel itself as well as changes to how the OS handles hardware. Not something even Apple would ever attempt. DirectX10 required WDDM1.0....which WindowsXP does not support.

[citation][nom]amoralman[/nom]As long as they support Windows 7 for a while, I don't really care if it's a service pack or monthly downloads.The problem is when they decide to cut, render obsolete, a perfectly functioning software, just to have people pay for their new one.No wonder Windows is sooooo widely pirated. I'll certainly consider all my options when they throw my own purchased software in the garbage.[/citation]
Where exactly have they decided "to cut, render obsolete, a perfectly functioning software"??? They're not going to take the time to bundle all the updates they've released into a service pack. MS announced after the release of SP2 for XP that they would no longer include "new features" in service packs...instead, they'll be strictly a collection of previously released updates. So, what is the big deal?

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
[citation][nom]heroz0r[/nom]They force us to use Windows 8...[/citation]
Not really. The only thing that will force us to use Windows 8 are the other software companies that drop support on Windows 7 for there software. But that won't happen for some time cause look how many people held on to there Windows XP since Vista was a flop. Some people still use it.

fudoka711

Distinguished
[citation][nom]obsama1[/nom]I hope there's a platform update. They should bring WDDM 1.2 and DX11.1 to 7 like when they brought DX11 to Vista.[/citation]

My windows update gave me the option of downloading WDDM 1.1 and 1.2 last week, so at least they got that squared away.

G

but when xp sp2 came out it was like a new os with so many security updates

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
It works flawlessly so they probably figure a service pack isn't required. Though I would have really like to see a cummulative pack of security updates at least every now and than, mainly because I slipstream service packs into the OS Disc when I instal windows to make life easier. It cuts down how much time I have to download and instal updates significantly.

I do not see Microsoft forcing any one to upgrade at all. If it were up to me all support for the previous OS would end as soon as the new OS goes retail. No more updates no more service packs no security updates nothing. That is the way it should be all software going forward should only work on the new OS and be uninstallable on the previous OS but Microsoft is not doing that at all.

A service pack is a major update that changes some of the feature set of the OS in some way... Win7 works just fine as an OS model, so why does it 'need' a SP2? The monthly security patches are good enough.

The problem with businesses is that they hold to stupid sayings like 'I won't upgrade until SP2' or 'No OS is mature until it's replacement is released'. such sayings were true back in the '90s, but seriously, win7 was rock solid stable even during the beta testing period. Win8 has had some growing pains in the way of interface issues when using keys/mouse throughout the beta process, but as an OS it is just win7 all dressed up, and it works great, even on weird hardware. The days of an 8 year OS are gone, but then again, so are the days where jumping on a relatively early release would cause major issues are gone as well. Not saying that network admins should not do their due diligence, because they should test the OS in their environment first, but I think most will find that win7 would have worked just fine years ago, and they were just being stupid by holding on to winXP for so damn long.

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
As a gaming platform only for me, I have no obvious need for a SP2 that I can think of now. With regards to DirectX, DX10 wasn't anything special and 10.1 was again ultimately worthless. DX11 was nice, the better performance, tessellation (when used properly which not even a handful of games do I think) and the other features were a nice fresh breath. I doubt 11.1 will be anything worth while. But I can't see why they won't port it to 7,especially if many PC companies continue to give the option to get 7 instead of 8. Just like a fool trying to ignore the fact it would be better to support a previous, more user base used product, instead of one less people will get and use ultimately.

G

Not getting windows 8 I dont care what they stop doing or wont do with 7.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]obsama1[/nom]I hope there's a platform update. They should bring WDDM 1.2 and DX11.1 to 7 like when they brought DX11 to Vista.[/citation]

They can't port WDDM 1.2 back to W7 or Vista. But DX11.1 will be ported back to W7. Maybe, just maybe, to Vista too.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
To be honest, it works quite well as it is. The only thing is that Service Packs make OS reinstalls a bit easier, rather than downloading all the updates separately. Windows 8 is what really needs a bunch of service packs...

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
"...and if they don't want to upgrade to Windows 8, we'll FORCE them!" -Anonymous Microsoft Employee during a conversation with Steve Ballmer

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Man people are touchy with change. First with 3.1 to Windows 95 then from Windows 98 to Windows XP, then from XP to Vista and then from Windows 7 to Windows 8. There will always be haters out there but you know what too bad then get left in the dust because I am a geek an early adopter always was and will.

Haters gonna hate but when all is said and done, a year from now everyone will catch on and love it same as all the other variations Microsoft has made to the OS. Change is beauty and I for one am happy for it.

G

MS IS offering windows 7 upgrade plan. Regardless which Windows 7 you use, pay 15 USD you get Windows 8 pro.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]mightymaxio[/nom]Haters gonna hate[/citation]

That's the kind of dazzling intellectual insight you can expect from a Windows Metro fan. Dumbed down OS for dumbed down humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS