Report: No Service Pack 2 for Windows 7

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]Negative. I will be running win 7 until there is compelling reason to upgrade. Lack of SP is not a motivator. And they already burned me with Vista, making me think I needed it to play DX10...Games are still being released in dx9 hah.[/citation]

this is because MS were stupid and forgot to consider the fact that game developers ALWAYS develop for teh lowest common denominator , that being folks running Dx 9. it would be even dumber for MS to make this mistake twice.... but who know they just might , just to be obstinent pricks.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]mightymaxio[/nom]Man people are touchy with change. First with 3.1 to Windows 95 then from Windows 98 to Windows XP, then from XP to Vista and then from Windows 7 to Windows 8. There will always be haters out there but you know what too bad then get left in the dust because I am a geek an early adopter always was and will. Haters gonna hate but when all is said and done, a year from now everyone will catch on and love it same as all the other variations Microsoft has made to the OS. Change is beauty and I for one am happy for it.[/citation]

you are eaither joking or seriously don't pay attention to the market

1. poeple hated win 3.1 it was full of bugs
2. win 95 was great but lacked native support for USB switching to 98 was a no biraner and 98 really wasn't that different
3. win 2000 and win Me both sucked , people today still look back on those and cringe.. there was never any love nor will their ever be any love for those OS variations.
4. only the tiny tiny select few people complained about win xp and this was mostly loss of playbility with some 16 bit apliactions , most of which could be made playable with work arounds.
5. no one ever loved vista .. it was a total resource hog, a security annoyance with pop ups, hell it's still a freaking mess today compared to win 7

6. last but not least ... win 8's interface It just IS NOT designed for desktop functionality. this fact alone will make this os never get love from the desktop and lap top crowds. i mean seriously open your eyes, it was oviously designed for touch screen implementation not mouse and keyboard usage.

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]lol, there is no such thing as neglible gaming performance; people spend days testing oc's to get an extra 2-3fps.Boot time is faster, regardless if that is needed, the fact remains.The memory footprint is smaller as well, server 2012 core, sits at ~128mb.[/citation]
Yes and with such overclocks, you gain more than a frame-all in all increase the minimum, average, and maximum framerate across the board generally.

With Win8 as is, more benchmarks tend to show with regards to gaming performance its worse by a frame and under. A few show it the other way around, again a frame or under. If you don't find spending $80 to get a 0.4 frame boost for a game negligible and a waste of money, okay. As I said Win8 is overall a better performer due to its increased times with startup/shutdown on an HDD.

[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]6. last but not least ... win 8's interface It just IS NOT designed for desktop functionality. this fact alone will make this os never get love from the desktop and lap top crowds. i mean seriously open your eyes, it was oviously designed for touch screen implementation not mouse and keyboard usage.[/citation]

That's sort of been my issue just from what I keep seeing. I have yet to try it because when I get on I feel like relaxing lately and don't feel like testing out something new. Eventually I'll give it a go. However I agree with this. While I do believe "seamless computing" is the future and can be done, that line just seems to much blurred with 8 in regards to is this a PC or mobile device. Could they have done a better job for the target PC/Laptop crowd and Tablet/Smartphone market combined? Sure, why not? However I don't think they did it quite enough to be what they're making it sound like. Obviously they want it to sell, but they way they're making it sound is literally like it is true seamless computing, and I don't think we've hit that yet. Especially due to the main differences between I/O with mobiles and PC.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]I'm tired of downloading over a year of updates every time I install Win 7. I can't wait to update all my install disks with SP2.[/citation]
Why wouldn't you just make a Slipstream Install disk with all the current updates. Then install with the Slipstream Media?

David Zember

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Yet another comment section devoted to negative feedback on Windows 8... It almost seems like every comment against Windows 8 gets a dozen or more "likes".

G

I'm not happy about his, Many of my clients are not happy with win8 and I hope they will keep working on 7, SP are way easier to apply than tiny weekly updates.

G

For a tech who has to install Windows 7 multiple times a day this kinda stinks. I know you can SlipSteam Updates, but it would be a lot easier if they just made an official release.

G

Service packs are just collections of updates rolled into 1 milestone package...this doesn't mean windows 7 will not be getting anymore updates. Only IT people should be mad about this news cause it makes their job harder.

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Every time I come to a Windows 8 article, it always puzzles me how many people complain about Metro UI and say how it is not made for a desktop. All I can say is you are absolutely right and why you are trying to use metro as a desktop replacement UI I have no clue so let me help you out. You see the little Tile labeled “Desktop" Click or Tap it and problem solved.

I have been using Windows 8 at home and testing it at Work for 6 months. It took our dumbest users (I mean can't understand a cordless mouse requires batteries for power dumb) a day figured out how to use windows 8 and navigate to the desktop to work. If they can do it, I know everyone that comes here to Tom's can do it. (I'm serious, if my users learned how to use windows 8 and you can't. There is really something wrong with you and yes, my users are that dumb. I am surprised they come to the office wearing matching shoes on their feet every day.)

I see metro for 1 second when I turn my PC on and after that I am on the desktop from that point on. No Start8 or classic shell here. Just pure windows 8 desktop and I never have to go to metro for anything (Except for Netflix or Hulu cause I like their Metro apps better).

Also for those that complain about Windows 8 does not work with multiple monitors in the desktop. I have 3x 32in Samsung LED Monitors each with at least 3-4 windows open at all times. It works just fine.

There is literally nothing that is preventing anyone from using Windows 8 not even metro. I heard all the same complaints from the underling Admins and told me how it would stop them from doing their daily work. So to test it I did a little test. I replaced all their systems with brand new High workstations using Windows 8 with 3x24 monitors. I told them they had a week to learn how to be productive on Windows 8 or they would be replaced with someone who can. Guess how many I replaced after that week. Zero and how many of them no really like Windows and ever own a Surface RT. All 7 of them.

So the fact is, it is all fear and BS. I work in a large national company and I am responsible for the entire company’s infrastructure so testing software whether it be a new Utility Linux build, Firewall config or Windows 8. I can tell you I have put Windows 8 through the paces of a real life use and there is absolutely no reason you cannot use windows 8 just as you use windows 7. That means from a UI functionality or even software/programing for Windows 8 metro apps. It is just comes do to that people hate change and would rather hate it than break out of their comfort zone and try to learn something new. (and it isn't really all the new or different either)

Bill Campbell

Honorable
May 1, 2013
I can't speak for the business user, but for the gaming crowd, Microsoft will simply discontinue updating DirectX for Windows 7, just as they did with XP, and then all gamers will be forced to upgrade to Windows 8 to play the newest games. If that happens, I'll stop playing games altogether. There's no reason they couldn't keep updating XP DirectX to conform to modern graphics hardware. It was a ploy to force people to buy Windows 7.

I've never heard of a game that has been made since Windows XP that can't play it. There has been 3 new OS's since, yet every game made supports XP with a DX9 version. I don't think DX11 is in any danger of not being supported any time soon.

Bill Campbell

Honorable
May 1, 2013

Most of the people who buy the newer graphics cards want the tesselation and shader support that is only supported via hardware on DirectX 11. Why spend that money if you don't have a DirectX version that will support it. And what exactly about XP prevented Microsoft from supporting that? They were forcing hardcore gamers to upgrade.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Moving forward, even if greed is implied, always will be, that's how humans roll to innervate. Sadly.

th

brianthesnail

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
service packs can be more of a annoyance than a help... remember xp sp2 and all our drivers went crazy,windows wouldnt start and so on .... so it makes sense for microsoft to continue patching windows 7 as and when ,and you will still be safe

I do not see the need for any updates what so ever as far as Windows 7 or older goes. As soon as a New OS goes RTM all updates for the previous OS should stop there nothing futher period. If users need to stay up to date they should upgrade to the new OS or be left behind no need to spend man power and money on a OS that is obsolete.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I don't get the ouya. It can play the type of games a current high-end phone can play. And you need a phone so better just to get a cable to connect to TV and screen mirror like you can do with the S4 than buying a whole seperate device. Am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.