Report: Nvidia Delays Fermi to March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Reminds me of ATI's launch of DX10 compatible parts. Nvidia had their parts available, and it took a few months for ATI to get their parts out the door.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
And in other news DNF will release next year.

hmm, wouldn't it have been better not to build such a HUGE chip for once. I know they think it will work, but it just means they will have more 340-379 cards (whatever number they will give it) and less of the performance cards of 380+.

I hope they made a smart choice while designing the chip, that even if parts fails, they still can make a good chip from it. But more smaller chips would have been better if you ask me.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
That's bad news... So far ATI hasn't been able to fully cash in on their DX11 lead due to supply troubles, but just as these are getting fixed Nvidia announces another delay. I hear champagne corks flying in the ATI headquarters.

Have they taken to much hay on their pitchfork? Every statement they release boasts about the sheer scale of Fermi, yet it's always accompanied by another delay. It's windy at the top...

atticus052

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Still Q1 2010, I'd rather see a working chip come later than a flawed chip to I can pull some hair out of my head for a few months sooner.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
ATI's rumored to have a 5890 in the works, so however powerful Fermi is, ATI's is gonna have a response by either releasing a cheaper 5890, or taking back the performance crown with the 5890. Nvidia is really shooting themselves in the foot here. What are they gonna do when ATI lowers the price the the 5850 and 5870 by a $100 making it a way better bang for your bang then Fermi. And by march ATI is gonna have all of its low and mid range cards out, which are the true money makers for a GPU company.

Sigh, i think Nvidia is falling behind

fatkid35

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
this bodes well for me. i can smell a $200 5850 in my future.fermi will be powerful but i'm a value shopper, not a power shopper.

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Delays are fine, but how much this monster will cost?
Will Fermi ever deliver a comparable price/performance ratio?

G

Why are you showing that image? It's been prove that it was a film that nothings has to do with nVidia!

My prediction:
nVidia's new cards will be very fast and a bit overpriced.
ATI will fight back against nVidia's flagship by releasing the 5890.
Depending on the performance of the nVidia cards ATI may pull ahead or they may still be behind which will for ATI to release thier new flagship at a lower price. ATI may still try to attain the top spot thus causing them to release a higher performing card. 5900 series maybe? Only time will tell but I like to see that nVidia is trying to innovate and I am excited to see the benchmarks for these new "Fermi" cards.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I think nVidia was surprised by the current ATI performance and had to delay in order to bring them up to par. I think their constant mention of Cuda technology and virtually nothing on the "pixel pushing" supports this assertion. Maybe they are on to something... but it's not going to be significant in this generation of cards. Most software doesn't even need the computing power a core i7 provides. Why do we need parallel co-processing via GPU? nVidea made a monster chip that will most likely under perform where it matters, and cost a fortune.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]ATI's rumored to have a 5890 in the works, so however powerful Fermi is, ATI's is gonna have a response by either releasing a cheaper 5890, or taking back the performance crown with the 5890. Nvidia is really shooting themselves in the foot here. What are they gonna do when ATI lowers the price the the 5850 and 5870 by a $100 making it a way better bang for your bang then Fermi. And by march ATI is gonna have all of its low and mid range cards out, which are the true money makers for a GPU company.Sigh, i think Nvidia is falling behind[/citation]

yeah , the first point of improvement would be to increase the memory width by a bit in spite of gddr5 ... 256 bits gddr5 is quite good , but look at how the 5770 underperforms compared to 4890 having all the same theoretical specs for everything else except the memory width .

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
but regarding the article , that image (from a video) is not fermi based work ... i thought everyone knew this by now including you , marcus ... if there's a doubt i will find that link to the forum where this is mentioned by the creator .. i wonder if he knows about all these references to his work being passed as fermi based .

thepriest23

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Meh, I can wait. I rather have a stable GPU than a non-stable one. It's going to kick ass. NVIDIA has never let me down, and I am all about performance. For those of you who do not understand the architecture of the chip, it's the most complex chip NVIDIA has ever made... so calm down and be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.