Report: Nvidia GTX 480, 470 Availability Delayed

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Dito on aforementioned jabs at nVidia.
Seriously if I am willing to wait on a 6 month delay for Fermi, I think I'd rather put in another 6 months and wait on the next AMD card, at least it won't keep telling me: "Just one more week... Just one more week..."

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I think it is now obvious what they box shot ploy was (depending on the dubious nature of the original origin of said photos). nVidia will do anything to make gamers hold their breath until the card is released. Here is a benchmark. Here is an empty box. Hey wait!! LOOK AT THE HAIR!!! YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT EVEN THOUGH IT'S LATE. DON'T BUY THE RED CARD! NOOOOOO!

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]MrBradley[/nom]Marketing 101: Never promise a release date and then change it.[/citation]
This is why Blizzard is so successful "It's ready when it's ready". People learned to trust that their products are of the up-most quality.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]This is why Blizzard is so successful "It's ready when it's ready". People learned to trust that their products are of the up-most quality.[/citation]

It's also interesting on that note that Blizzard is one of the very few developers right now making games that people are waiting for and I highly doubt it will require this high end of a video card. So spending $430-$599 for one makes very little sense especially in this economy. What else is there that needs this power? I can't think of anything. Maybe Crysis but who even plays that? nearly nobody. The reason for that is the online support is very unpopular. Most people I see are still playing games like team fortress 2 and modern warfare 2 which run fine on a mid to low range graphic card. It always seems like the only main benefit of buying a video card that costs over $300 is for more frames in a game that generally speaking one will not play very much anyways lol.

That issue hurt mostly people that can care less what temps their GPU's are running at. If you care for your hardware you should also me monitoring your values just to be on the safe side. I had that same driver back when it was released and I had no issues at all. This is not a debate over who has the better driver support because in-mature drivers will always be an issue, normally it takes at least 4-6 months to get fully working drivers regardless of the manufacturer.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]MrBradley[/nom]Marketing 101: Never promise a release date and then change it.[/citation]
Then A LOT of companies failed marketing 101, since that happens alot :)

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Reminds me of an episode of Star Trek TNG (Relics), Scotty and LaForge are talking:

La Forge: "I told the Captain I would have this diagnostic done in an hour."
Scotty: "And how long will it really take you?"
La Forge: "An hour!"
Scotty: "Oh, you didn't tell him how long it would really take, did you?"
La Forge: "Of course I did."
Scotty:"Oh, laddie, you have a lot to learn if you want people to think of you as a miracle worker."

Looks like Nvidia coulda used this line of thinking before they announced a release date without taking into account fab complications and other such nonesense.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I just realised last night that it does not really matter when Fermi comes on the shelves. Like any other hardware before it, it will need another 3-4 months to get proper drivers and iron out any bugs and bring out improvements. Hence, actual release date + 3 months=actual date when you start getting your money's worth back...

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Grrr... I couldn't care less about either company, all I want is a good GPU for a good price. I don't want to make my new build until the GPU prices go down and it seems like it'll be well into april before the prices start dropping.

G

everyone here doesn't know what's going on, but i do. nvidia is going to the fashionably late entrance. they're also not planning on calling you for three days after getting your number. nvidia's just trying to be a player.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
lol metro2033 optimum systme requirements are a GTX 470.480, jesus talk abour nvidia paying developers to use there card as the optimum even though the card doesn't exist

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

Blizzard never promises a release date, they haven't yet for Starcraft II, it is all of the stupid companies that want people to pay them for pre-orders that are "Projecting" release dates.

afrosamurai

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I think the "regular" channels haven't been fed the usual site hit inducing information they would normally get this release and they're starting to make things up. Its turned into a "well I heard... yeah the source is credible.. all my sources are! you dare doubt the mighty internet word of _____?" Whats a news writer with no news? Well we're beginning to see exactly what happens when the gods have no idea. Thier ideas become truth. I'm beginning to see a pattern here... your word is concidered closer to "the truth" if you have more people leaching your articles. If this guy has this many people (cluelessly) agreeing with him (even though no one knows) he's probably a little less wrong than the guy with one less info leach. Its the internet information housing bubble which will be followed by the internet information recession once we all find out how much these words are really worth.

-Afro_Samurai

Tremec

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Sad part is the ATI fanboys cant read all the bench marks showing them that in the 5000 series all but the top card is just a side grade (or worse a downgrade) with DX 11 as an added benefit.

That said NVIDIA will follow ATI's lead and do the same. They have been playing off each other for a while now

Neither manufacturer is willing to up the performance in the sub $200 range and as soon as cards start slipping there they put a stop to it (GTX 260 comes to mind.)
It seems we need someone else to come out of the woodwork and just blow them out of the water with a new graphics card line.

How about reviving the old Matrox line..................
Introducing the Matrox New Millennium line of graphics cards!!
Now that would be priceless!

darker

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Nvidia still control the GPU market and made more money in the GPU market then Nvidia recently. Fact. All this despite the Fermi delay.

G

uh-oh...
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18208/34/

...push it back another week... I hear that now they're going to start publishing photos of the "Quick-installation" posters that come in the boxes...

Status
Not open for further replies.