Report: Nvidia GTX 480, 470 Availability Delayed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

i was a huge Nvidia fan until i heard this, and all the other broken promises with Fermi. first thing tomorrow i'm headed to get a 5850 thanks but i am done being patient.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Marketing tactics.... postpone for just a little bit enough to make nvidia fans itch... I can imagine some ending up buying a 5850 or 5870 since they will be pissed to find out last minute as they arrive in the store that the delay is for ONE more week...... Hell I just upped and bought a 5850 coz I was sick of Nvidias cards 4months ago

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
/gasp, /shock, /sarcasm

Meanwhile in the real world I'm loving my 5870 and looking forward to adding a 2nd the day the 5870 Eyefinity Six ships. 5x1 Portrait here I come.

thedreadfather

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]kravmaga[/nom]Hardware can't be patched and recalling is expensive, not to mention humiliating.In the grand scheme of things, all the delays in the world will be forgiven when they get their shit together and start selling good products.[/citation]
I wasn't knocking hardware manufacturers at all. I've been pretty disappointed with a few titles in the past that were released before they were finished. True, patches exist, but they don't typically add much new content. In my experience they typically only fix bugs.
To be honest, I haven't bought very many new games recently owing to the fact that my computer is extremely dated (P4 Williamette anyone?). With that in mind I'm mainly speaking for games that are several years old. I've been holding out buying a new computer until Fermi has been released for no other reason than the price drop that will inevitably happen with ATi's products. Or I'll buy nVidia if they have better price/perf (which if they're anything like the 200 series, that's doubtful). The only way that Fermi's delays affect me is whether I buy my part now or a bit later.

I don't know if you thumbed me down or not, but if you did, I appreciate the fact you gave some reasoning.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
That guy over at Semiaacurate may be a professional Nvidia hater, but he's been consistently right on this topic.

Let's see if what he said about quantity available is also true. The vendors may have some cards in stock but that may not be enough for the first week of sales.

[citation][nom]buddhav1[/nom]oh dear lord no. not another week! I couldn't possibly wait another week!/sarcasmAt least they're trying to avoid mistakes. Grey Screening 5xxx series card?[/citation]
At least they didn't cause cards to over heat! :lol:

Gian124

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]Another week delay? A week alone in the tech industry is like a year in a gamer's eyes.All of these delays is only hurting Nvidia's potential market...[/citation]

Especially considering people (like me) are building computers based on the Core i7 980x & Asus Rampage III Extreme release. We have the memory (especially since the new Westmere caps as 1033 MHz), we have the new SATA 3 (6 Gbps) SSD drives, We have cases, cooling & power supplies... the only thing we are waiting on is the GPU... and once the CPU / Mobo drops, I'll most likely go with ATI if there are no benchmarks out on Fermi by then... especially considering initial nVidia benchmarking showed [citation]it seems that the Radeon 5870's performance will be on par with Nvidia's upcoming high-end GPU [\citation] ... so the 5970 would plausibly remain king of the single-card solutions.

steddy

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Disappointing, to be sure. But hey, you don't want them to release a defective product, do you? Also, contrary to what jrharbort said, a week doesn't make a huge difference.

micks75au

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
How can they ask for Pre-orders with no details released.
Pre-order a card just on thier say so, on thier Name alone? No-one is that foolish

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
It's a conspiracy, isn't it obvious?
Both ATI and Nvidia realize there's not enough milking being done here so one of them opts to delay while the other one will surely delay sooner or later.

Of course I could be stupidly wrong but honestly when was the last time a well established company really did stuff for the consumer and out of sheer competitiveness in the market to give us better prices (hello to video card price fixing on behalf of both companies in the past, wal-mart also comes to mind, but they're just evil)

You know it's possible, maybe seems outrageous, but doesn't about every conspiracy that winds up being true or false? :p

G

Damn, so this means I'm stuck with a crappy gray-screening ATI for another few days? :(

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Why do you guys insist on talking so much shit on Nvidia? Guess what.. if Nvidia dies then you can kiss your precious "bang for buck" theory with ATI goodbye.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
maybe supplies were too low for anticipation and they wanted to make sure they had enough supply to avoid having a lot of people wanting one and not being able to get them one? who knows, what ever it is... it sucks!

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]First "in time for Christmas," then Q1 2010, then Q2 2010.[/citation]
Yes. It wasn't smart saying WHICH Christmas they were targeting.

jezzarisky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]razercultmember1[/nom]The GTX 480 doesn't even have 512 cores like it was originally supposed to have...[/citation]
But it does. Simply like the last generation, there will be two different variants with two differing amounts of cores, one at 512, and the other at 480.

Status
Not open for further replies.