Report: Sony Developing "Hybrid Separable Motion Controller"

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom]Yet another reason for me to stick with Microsoft next-gen.[/citation]
and they will make the kinect the only input device for their console.

[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]And they'll only start at $100 a piece because it says "Sony" on it.[/citation]
not really, most of the crap in the controller could be done with a simple chip/s that costs nothing.

if they arent wired together at all, than its will be the batteries that cost the most in it, and probably wont add to the cost of the next system and with how much crap dropped in price, probably not the stand alone controllers either.

-----------------------------------------

besides this, i want a consle maker to make head mount displays supported from DAY ONE

at least that way they make make more head room in the market than as the specialty product they currently are.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Okay Sony, 1st make a L4 and R4 button on the bottom of the controller like the touch under the PS vita. next put a small 3.5 inch touch screen in the middle.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
There is a big difference between the Move, Kinect, and Wii/U controller. The Move actually works and has a 1:1 movement. Kinect sometime has issues getting gestures. Wii/U does not understand traversal, only rotation. Flicking your wrist is the same as doing a powerful swing.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]chibiwings[/nom]This is a week an a half old news. from PS3 relates sites.[/citation]
This is Toms. Need I say more?

Really, that looks harder and useless. How are you going to be able to reach the directional controllers without extra the leverage of one hand holding the other side of the controller?

TheViper

Distinguished
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]There is a big difference between the Move, Kinect, and Wii/U controller. The Move actually works and has a 1:1 movement. Kinect sometime has issues getting gestures. Wii/U does not understand traversal, only rotation. Flicking your wrist is the same as doing a powerful swing.[/citation]
Wii Motion Plus is also 1:1 when properly programmed and the Wii U Gamepad is 1:1 by default (accelerometer, gyroscope and magnetometer).

Even the original Wii remote can understand traversal in conjunction with the IR sensor but that does require it to be pointed where the IR camera in the remote can see the IR light bar so it's limited.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
PS3/PS2/PS1 controllers have / had 2 things in common.
. comfortable
. functional

You can thumb me down all you want, but I won't tolerate anything that it doesn't equal or better
this 2 major points above.

So do I think that this proposed controller for PS4 as illustrated here is crap?
Absolutely.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I don't think the Sony developers thought this through. When you hold a typical controller, it is held in place by your fingers, but also between your hands. You can relax either part of your grip, and the controller is still held effectively in-place. This allows you to adjust the use of your hand muscles over time while gaming. It's a bit like getting up and stretching once in a while when you sit at a desk all day.

When you take away half of the controller, only your curled fingers are holding the remaining half. There can be no compressive force between your hands because each part is only held by one hand. Relax your fingers, even for a moment, and the controller-half can slip to a different orientation, or slide right out of your hand entirely. Now imagine that the controller-half is moving around rapidly, such as in a simulated karate game. Because the acceleration forces on the device are that much higher, you have to hold it that much tighter with your fingers to avoid slipping. After an hour of that, I think you'd have a hard time gripping anything with your hands. And over time, this just seems like it will end up in something far worse than carpal-tunnel syndrome.

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
i will buy Sony before Samsung... and if a can't, the samsung product D@mn well is going to be better... no more passes for SAMSUNG... for example, a have two monitors by samsung, no problems with them (while they were expensive.. .don't use them any more... replaced with a NEC monitor but I don't hate them) but the third monitor (cheap) is a f'n piece of junk when needed to change sources (too d@mn slow)... (of course after you learn the dumb way samsung has Implemented the source change you are not f'n cursing them). and life goes on... no more passes for samsung!

Status
Not open for further replies.