Report: Specifications of AMD's Hawaii GPU Surface

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Well Nvidia have been promising Shadowplay for ages now so don't be too surprised if it has something to with that and/or that Linux box that Valve have been working on, I don't think whatever it is will set the world on fire though.

Cypress --->> Cayman was a 17% jump in mm2 and a 22% jump in shader cores. No reason to think Hawaii would not make a similar jump over Tahiti on the same node.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

I haven't done Xfire yet due to the frame pacing issues, have you tried those 2 6870's with the new 13.9 drivers or 13.10 beta?

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Aye, as is BF3. But for the longest times games were Nvidia centric. It just shows what the developer was using to program their hardware utilization out of. Same can be seen for the 'fight' against AMD FX and Intel.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

It is interesting...

But Intel has almost destroyed AMD. And there was no reason to drive them into the ground so hard. Frig, you have to have at least one competitor. A mid-range CPU like my old Q6600 was over $850 (release price). And now a few CPU's later I buy an i7 for approx. $300. That's ridiculously cheap.

(as for XP, that OS is dead anyway. Ppl need to listen and upgrade. However, I also wish 8 was gone)

xerxces

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

Yes, I just got my 760 about two weeks ago, I tried those drivers for roughly a month. Even when I ran only one card, it still did not keep up with many games as it should.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

The 6870 dates back from Oct/2010 and using 40nm tech, it really is a generation behind. Tom's GPU Hierarchy ranks it along side the 7790, which is a rather weak GPU. Plus Crossfire scaling is only going to get you so far...
Hindsight...you should have got a 5870 or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.