Report: Windows 7 SP1 Coming Summer/Fall 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
This really can't come as a surprise to anyone. Microsoft typically releases SPs within a year of the release of a new OS.

For now, I'll just enjoy the hell out of my Win7.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Windows 7 really doesn't need SP1 to get people to cross-over, they did that with the release canidate, i'm running it right now, it's good until August 2010 AND i have a copy of WIN 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I have loved it ever since i installed it clean over my XP 64-bit setup.

Win 7 is for real

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
i rather wonder what directx 12 would bring to the table , as history is shown both cpus and gpus that feature set is more important than clock speed in progress .

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
"Yes, there will be a Windows 8..."

File that one under NO DUH! Seriously, is there any doubt that there will be many iterations of Windows yet to come? As Hawkeye Pierce once said in an episode of MASH, "You needn't state the incredibly obvious; the merely obvious will suffice."

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]precariousgray[/nom]I wonder if I'll be able to disable taskbar thumbnails in SP1. Probably not.[/citation]
If you mean the big button with no text, you can, right-click taskbar, goto properties, check use small icons and put taskbar buttons to never combine. Now you have text and normal icons like in XP. I'm pretty sure you can turn off any Aero feature in Windows 7, just need to look around to find out how.

G

Now that was hyper fast!

Never seen MS release a service pack that fast.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Like Windows 7 really needs a service pack. Seriously, Windows 7 is less buggy than any previous version of Windows ever released. Why not just call it a security rollup package like Microsoft did with Windows 2000 Service Pack 5.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Well, 7-8 months sounds about right to find those issues which escaped beta (as happens with all software, you can only test so much) and as said above, at least there's no deal breakers requiring this pack in win7 (such as cocking up transfer & network speeds, my only real serious complaint about vista). But then, lets face it a lot of the bugs got worked out with vista so win 7 was bound to be less troublesome.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]precariousgray[/nom]I wonder if I'll be able to disable taskbar thumbnails in SP1. Probably not.[/citation]

Just right click on taskbar, go to taskbar options and uncheck the 'use aeropeek' then restart. No aeropeek, no pop-up thumbnails... but much less functionality... why would you want to do this again? There is enough of a delay on the pop-up to mean you wont see them if you click on the icon within a reasonable time.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]zingam[/nom]I think NVIDIA are those who said it that DX11 is the last relevant DX API. The ongoing developments in the GPU world are going to real programability. There will be at least another 5 years before a new DX API comes out and until then GPUs might have evolved in something that is totally programmable in C++ with no fixed function hardware at all etc (or hardware that would need an API like DX). According to Tim Sweeeny next generation consoles will be completely programmed in C++, APIs like OpenGL, DX will not be relevant or they will be implemented like graphics libraries in the same way that they are being implemented on Larrabee which has no particular support for DX or OpenGL.[/citation]

+1 , yes , i read that article , but for that would be game over for microsoft's dominance of gaming platform . only time will tell , but it would be the better than any directx , i agree !

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
@zingam : one more thing , this use of open libraries like u mentioned in larrabee , would mean gaming coming to linux and osx . one would need just the drivers , and thats it !

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Win 7 was "SP1" ready at the RC, not one issue running it on 3 different systems that I own. 2 of which are on fairly aged equipment, the other on a MacMini March09.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Doesn't surprise me about the service pack. However I have to say this is the most polished, smooth running, and secure Windows OS ever released so service packs don't concern me.

Status
Not open for further replies.