Question Repurpose old NAS into docking station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2021
I have seen plenty of videos on how to convert an old pc into a NAS. But I sort of want to do the opposite (well almost).. That is I want to repurpose an old 5-bay NAS into a no brains docking station. The two old NAS systems I have are long past there manufacturers support life and not compatible with windows 8 or 10 anymore. Seeing as they have most of the physical traits a 5 -bay docking station has I thought I might ask the question.

One NAS is the Buffalo TeraStation III the other is a cheap 2 Bay thing I can't even remember the name of.

Sep 19, 2021
I have a windows microserver but wanted to attach more hard drives. I essentially don't want the nas to do anything anymore except be recognized in windows as an extra 5 HDDs the original NAS processor wouldn't do a thing anymore.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a windows microserver but wanted to attach more hard drives. I essentially don't want the nas to do anything anymore except be recognized in windows as an extra 5 HDDs the original NAS processor wouldn't do a thing anymore.
Given an actual Terastation, I can't see that happening.

The board and OS will take over, and do what it was built to do.

ztwersky

Honorable
Oct 9, 2017
I have seen plenty of videos on how to convert an old pc into a NAS. But I sort of want to do the opposite (well almost).. That is I want to repurpose an old 5-bay NAS into a no brains docking station. The two old NAS systems I have are long past there manufacturers support life and not compatible with windows 8 or 10 anymore. Seeing as they have most of the physical traits a 5 -bay docking station has I thought I might ask the question.

I'm looking to do the same. Did you ever find out if this is possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.