Question Request for Assistance with High CPU Temperatures (100c) on Intel Core i7-11700K

Jul 27, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out for some help with a frustrating issue I've been experiencing with my PC. Over the past few weeks, my system's CPU temperatures have been alarmingly high, even during minimal activities like starting up or opening a browser. I’ve been troubleshooting the problem, but so far, nothing seems to provide a lasting solution. Here’s a detailed overview of my system and the steps I’ve taken so far, hoping that someone might be able to offer some insight or guidance.

System Configuration:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-11700K 3.6 GHz
  • Motherboard: MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI - Socket 1200
  • Cooling:
    • AIO Cooler: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 RGB Kit (exhaust to the side)
    • Intake Fans: Lian-Li Uni Fan SL120 RGB Kit x3 120mm (bottom)
    • Exhaust Fans:
      • Lian-Li Uni Fan SL120 RGB Kit x3 120mm (top)
      • Lian-Li Uni Fan SL120 RGB 120mm (back)
  • Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini
  • Storage: MSI Spatium M480 M.2 1TB PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe 1.4
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 32GB 2x16GB CL16
  • GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING Z TRIO LHR 8GB GDDR6
  • PSU: Silverstone SX1000 Platinum 80 Plus Platinum 1000W Modular
  • BIOS: Newest version
  • Room Temperature: Around 30°C
Issue Description:
My CPU temperature spikes to 100°C even during minimal activities such as startup or opening the Chrome browser. When idling, the CPU temperature is around 60°C, while the system temperature is 42°C. Running the Intel XTU benchmark causes core temperatures to reach 100°C, with core voltages mostly around 0.95V, maxing at 1.39V (thermal throttling). During idle, the core voltages (VIDs) can spike up to 1.432V and while reading this forum, up to 1.559V (only running a browser and HWinfo). The CPU is running idle with 1-5% usage.

Steps Taken:
  1. Cleaned Everything: I thoroughly cleaned the system to remove any dust and debris.
  2. Reapplied Thermal Paste: Two weeks ago, I applied new high-quality thermal paste (Arctic MX6), which resolved the issue temporarily. However, the temperatures have since risen again.
  3. Cooling System Check: I verified that the AIO pump is running at 100%. One tube is hotter and I can feel the flow. The other tube is cooler and I can barely feel the flow.
  4. BIOS Settings: I have not overclocked the system; only the RAM XMP profile and fan curves are set in the BIOS.
Additional Observations:
The temperature spikes immediately with minimal load, and there are no unusual background processes—typical CPU usage is 1-5% during idle.

For over 2.5 years, the PC was running fine. However, it started getting hotter and hotter over time, both at idle and under load.

I am seeking advice on further troubleshooting steps and additional configurations. Additionally, I would appreciate any insights into possible motherboard, CPU, or AIO cooler issues that might be causing these temperature spikes. Thank you for any assistance or insights you can provide!

Thank you very much,
Pat

Cooling System Check: I verified that the AIO pump is running at 100%. One tube is hotter and I can feel the flow. The other tube is cooler and I can barely feel the flow.
This indicates obstructed liquid flow, clogged up cpu block.
With proper liquid flow you should not be able to feel temperature difference between tubes.

Since AIOs are not user serviceable, you're supposed to replace it.

download.axd