[SOLVED] Requirements for a 1080ti ?

thelux008

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2014
Hello everyone,

I am finally upgrading from a GTX 1060 (6GB) to a 1080ti. I'm not very familiar with PC building, so I'm wondering if there's anything that could possibly prevent me from installing the 1080ti into my PC, like its power usage or compatibility with a processor? I'm just scared to throw money at it if I'd have to upgrade some other part of my PC as well with it.
Does the 1080ti require a better power supply than the "Corsair 650W CX650 Bronze" or a better processor than the i5-7600 3.50GHz that I currently have? If RAM is important, too, I have 16GB of it.

Solution
Hello everyone,

I am finally upgrading from a GTX 1060 (6GB) to a 1080ti. I'm not very familiar with PC building, so I'm wondering if there's anything that could possibly prevent me from installing the 1080ti into my PC, like its power usage or compatibility with a processor? I'm just scared to throw money at it if I'd have to upgrade some other part of my PC as well with it.
Does the 1080ti require a better power supply than the "Corsair 650W CX650 Bronze" or a better processor than the i5-7600 3.50GHz that I currently have? If RAM is important, too, I have 16GB of it.

That power supply should be sufficient for a 1080ti.

In terms of the CPU - that will depend on the game, the Core i5 7600 is only a 4 core, 4...
Hello everyone,

In terms of the CPU - that will depend on the game, the Core i5 7600 is only a 4 core, 4 thread cpu and it's not got that high clock speeds by modern standards. Older titles should be fine, as 4 cores is typically enough for games pre ~ 2018, however for the latest titles your cpu will hold the graphics card back a bit from it's full potential.

16gb of ram is still plenty for modern games. I'd say it's not a terrible idea to look at a 1080ti if you can get one for a decent price, it's a really good card that still holds up really well today (performance is roughly on par with an RTX 2070). Just keep in mind that you probably won't be getting the most out of it (although if you get the 1080ti now, you can always keep when you upgrade your cpu / motherboard down the line).

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hello everyone,

Neither are ideal, but neither are actually at the level I'd consider problems. If I had a 1080 Ti and was building a PC right now, I wouldn't choose a four-core CPU or a decent budget Corsair PSU, but you already have these, so that changes your cost/benefit quite a bit. The 7600s shortfalls are more universal and the Corsair is, again, a decent budget PSU, not some garbagey Gamerpowersupermax using capacitors that were rotting in a Guangzhou warehouse.

Reactions: cdrkf

thelux008

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2014

In terms of the CPU - that will depend on the game, the Core i5 7600 is only a 4 core, 4 thread cpu and it's not got that high clock speeds by modern standards. Older titles should be fine, as 4 cores is typically enough for games pre ~ 2018, however for the latest titles your cpu will hold the graphics card back a bit from it's full potential.

16gb of ram is still plenty for modern games. I'd say it's not a terrible idea to look at a 1080ti if you can get one for a decent price, it's a really good card that still holds up really well today (performance is roughly on par with an RTX 2070). Just keep in mind that you probably won't be getting the most out of it (although if you get the 1080ti now, you can always keep when you upgrade your cpu / motherboard down the line).

Awesome! Thanks a bunch for the reply ^^ Imma go get it, then.

Reactions: cdrkf