Researchers Investigating Why People Win or Lose at Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
So...what is the point of this? Gaming, for nearly everyone, is for entertainment... Whether we win or lose may irritate us, but there are zero consequences to those actions.. Winning or losing in a real world market has real world consequences.. The two should not be related.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Give the soft sciences a break. Game theory is the only thing they have to make it sound like they are a real science. There are obvious problems with it but at the core it still quasi describes how the world should work. My buying isn't very rational :( I buy companies I like and sell companies I don't like.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]neon neophyte[/nom]the word is "lose." for the love of everything, "lose." it is in the damn title of the article ffs.[/citation]
C'mon, loosen up a little bit!

rdc85

Honorable
"....perfect knowledge of what [we] are doing and of what [our] opponents are doing...."

It makes me remember the old saying (from book "art of war")

Do not know yourself and your opponent (strength & weakness) = 0% chance to win
know yourself but do not know your opponent = 50% chance to win
know yourself and know your opponent = 100% chance to win

something like that.......

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]techcurious[/nom]Great.. in the not too distant future:Can't win at the game you are playing? We've got a pill for that![/citation]
There already are pills for exactly that, they just go by the trade names of Adderall and Ritalin and get prescribed for nearly anything

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]neon neophyte[/nom]our education system is seriously failing here. three people already misspelled "lose" as "loose." it hurts my brain.[/citation]

Clearly, more research into why some people win games but continue to be completely inept at everyday tasks is also valuable...

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
The stock market is just legalised gambling. We already have research that people playing the market do no better than chance. Comparing it to a game where learned skill matters is silly. Also games are supposed to be winnable these days. It's a completely different scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.