borris618

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
hi all,

So my dad got his hands on a copy of COD-WW2 from a colleague who claims the steam key was unused.
He gave that to me because he doesnt play games, but the key is already activated. (I know, what a surprise right...)
I told him that but his collegue swears that he didnt activate the key.

Now for my question.
Is it possible to see the steam-profile that activated the key?
or is it possible to reset the ownership of that key when providing some kind of proof of ownership with access to the physical disc and reciept?

I know this is a long shot, but it cant hurt to ask right...

thanks

Solution
You will need to contact Steam to find out if you can do anything with the disk. I doubt they will let you know who activated it, that would lead to a lot of issues if they gave out that information. Hackers would use it all the time.
You will need to contact Steam to find out if you can do anything with the disk. I doubt they will let you know who activated it, that would lead to a lot of issues if they gave out that information. Hackers would use it all the time.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Typically when you buy a game via Steam it will have the option to purchase for yourself, or as a gift. In the first option the only thing you can do is actually give your sign in away. The second allows for you to give the key to a specific individual via email.
If it was a "gift" key from a promotion it well could have expired or had the maximum number of people from the promotion already supported. I had the last happen to me in relation to codes from an AMD purchase well on into the deal.