Question Resuming from hibernate doesn't work right after upgrade to 1903

Status
Not open for further replies.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
Against my better judgement I upgraded to the newest feature update of windows 10 which is version 1903. When I hibernate everything shuts down almost immediately, much faster than before. Resuming from hibernate is a disaster. It used to go from the ASUS enter BIOS screen to the login screen pretty quickly. Now it goes to the ASUS screen, the monitor shuts down, back to the ASUS screen, a very long black screen and then finally the login page. I have updated my Nvidia driver, Afterburner, replaced classic shell with open shell and made sure all updates are up to date. I have tried turning off fast startup, turning it back on and currently I have it turned off again. I also tried turning off hibernate with a command prompt and turning it back on so it will rebuild the file system that hibernate uses.

The weird part is that resuming from hibernate is like a restart, things like afterburner, zonealarm and steam have to reload again.

Anybody else have this issue when upgrading to 1903?

Windows 10 Pro
I7700K
1080Ti
960 EVO x 2
Maximus IX Code
Corsair Vengeance RAM 32GB @ 3000Mhz
Seasonic 850W PSU

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
In Control Panel, Power Options, Choose what the power button does link - in the dialog that comes up (after you activate the Change settings that are currently unavailable link) do you have Fast Startup UNchecked and Hibernate checked?

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
Correct.

It seems since everything shuts down almost instantly when I select hibernate it can't possibly have time to transfer data to the SSD. This would also explain why everything has to load again when it finally comes out of hibernate.

Sleep works perfectly but I am concerned with shortening the life of my SSD's by using sleep.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
I think my computer updated from 1803 to 1809 before I updated to 1903. I don't suppose there is an easy way to go back to 1803 without doing a clean install. I am not willing to do a clean install since I spent days getting my pc to work properly after installing windows 10 back in 2016.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I would never suggest doing that anyway. And, as an aside, do some research on modern (as in the last year or two old or newer) SSDs. Worrying about "wearing them out" is truly a waste of emotional energy.

But, the first thing I want you to do, by way of experiment:

1. Open an elevated command prompt (preferably) or PowerShell: WinKey+X then select Command Prompt (admin) or Power Shell (Admin).

2. In said elevated session enter the following commands:

powercfg /hibernate off
powercfg /hibernate on
shutdown /h

The first two simply toggle the ability to hibernate off and on again, and you should get a success message regarding having done each of those, respectively. That shutdown command is the manual way to say hibernate the machine.

What I'm trying to see here is whether the behavior you get when issuing a hibernation shutdown via Command Prompt is the same as from the start menu.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
I had already used the hibernate off/on command prompts but I was using "powercfg.exe /hibernate off". I tried using your commands and I never got a success message with either method but I did go to the start button and the option to hibernate was gone so it must have worked. After turning it back on I used the "shutdown/h" command and the monitor turned off right away but the activity light on the tower flashed rapidly for a few seconds before it shut down. Unfortunately resuming from hibernate was exactly the same. I am most confused as to why things that are supposed to be retained during hibernate such as Afterburner and Zonealarm have to load again as if I restarted the computer.

I also checked my firmware and drivers for the EVO's and they are up to date.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I am unclear as to what you mean, precisely, by your programs having to load again.

Full hibernation writes out the entire Windows OS state and the state(s) of all user(s) to the disk drive immediately before setting a trigger then shutting down the machine. When powered back up from hibernation. Everything still has to reload from disc, but user programs should be exactly where they were. For something like Zonealarm, it's still going to have to "figure out what's going on right now" as it can't presume that the state at hibernation is current. I am unfamiliar with Afterburner.

My standard advice when one starts having issues with basic functions under Windows 10 is to do the following, in this order, with a completely clean reinstall being the "thermonuclear option" to be taken only after the preceding ones have failed. Both seldom do.

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file (and use the ISO for the version of Windows 10 that's currently running on your system).

3. Doing a completely clean reinstall.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
What I mean is that when I resume from hibernate (prior to 1903) the icons in my tray (the one with the clock) are present as they were before the hibernation. Now when the computer resumes from hibernation I can see the icons loading fresh. Afterburner is a monitoring utility from MSI. Steam now has to reload, afterburner has to reload, zonealarm has to reload. This behavior is exactly what would happen if I did a restart or shutdown as these options close all these type of programs.

I appreciate your help. This is obviously an issue with 1903. I will just use sleep from now on.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
It may not actually be "an issue" at all. All it takes is a change in load order on reloading and a change in how the system tray is managed as far as repainting goes in order for you to see what you're seeing. It doesn't mean, necessarily, that anything is reloading from scratch.

However, if speed is of the essence, I use sleep anyway. The only time I use hibernation is if I know that the machine is going to be unused for an extended period (many hours or several days or more) and I want to resume where I was. If it's a couple of hours, and particularly if the machine is still plugged in, I use Sleep.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
It definitely is loading from scratch. Afterburner keeps a log of monitored temps and when I check it after resuming from hibernate it shows everything is reset. Steam has to login and reload when I open a game. Zonealarm has to load from scratch. None of this was happening before. Along with the issues of the monitor turning off and then a lengthy black screen this definitely is an issue with 1903. Microsoft has caused me grief with every feature update since I originally started with 1607.

Thanks again for trying to help.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I agree with Mandark.

Any time someone makes a statement of the form, "Microsoft has caused me grief with every feature update since I originally started with 1607," that means that a completely clean install should have been done ages ago if the other things I've recommended prior to doing that do not do the trick.

You cannot build a house on quicksand, and unless you get yourself a rock solid Windows 10 base installation upon which to apply all updates, including feature updates, you will continue chasing down problem after problem as small corruptions are brought to the fore by changes to the OS as time goes by.

I've been maintaining 5 machines in my own household, and those of many clients, since the advent of Windows 10 in 2015. Three of the five in my household are upgrades from Windows 7 (1) and Windows 8.1 (2) where those Windows installations were meticulously checked before the upgrades.

I have never once had an issue with a feature update. And to a person, all of those who have have managed to solve those either by doing a repair install (and in most cases that alone did the trick) or a completely clean install.

I understand why anyone would not want to go the completely clean install route unless absolutely necessary. There are times, though, once all else has failed where it is the most certain way to get rid of the kinds of issues reported here permanently moving forward.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
I respectfully disagree with both of you. I installed Windows 10 from a USB I bought from the Microsoft store and installed it on a brand new custom built computer. The initial installation failed and a Microsoft support rep took control of my computer and ran sfc/scannow. It had multiple problems (on a brand new install). I completely formatted the drive and tried again and it worked. I spent 3 eight hour days fixing issues to get my programs working properly. Everything has since worked well except for the feature updates always being incompatible with some program or another.

I have been reading on the hibernate issue all day and many people are saying the exact same thing. Using hibernate acts as a restart instead of keeping open applications and programs at their last state. I have not found a fix so far but have tried many many things.

I believe this is more of an issue with 1809 than 1903 according to what I have read. I had an update that was ready for install yesterday and when I restarted it had upgraded me from 1803 to 1809 which was the most problematic feature update for Windows 10. I then upgraded to 1903 with the update assistant right away.

I ran sfc/scannow and it found corrupt files with windows resource protection and repaired them. That did not fix the problem.

My last resort would be to update my ASUS bios as I suspect that might be an issue but I am not doing that either since I will lose all of my OC tweaks.

Hibernate is my preferred option but not at the expense of all this hassle. As I said before I will just use sleep instead.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
SOLVED

After using sleep instead of hibernate I woke the computer to get a blue screen that was related to an internal power error. I looked it up and discovered this is an issue with Samsung NVME SSD's. In particular the 960 EVO which is what I have.

I went to the Samsung driver site earlier and downloaded the only driver they had listed. When I went to install it I got a notice that I already had the driver installed so I cancelled. INSTALL IT ANYWAYS. The new driver that will fix the problem is 3.1. I also updated Samsung Magician to a newer version and it is actually big enough to see now.

Hibernate and sleep are both working properly now. It makes sense hibernate wasn't working since it has to write to the hard drive to work properly.

Hopefully this will help anyone else with this issue.

Reactions: funkylosik
Status
Not open for further replies.