[SOLVED] Retro PC - Need help finding a PSU

dannymozzer

Reputable
Sep 15, 2016
Hi,

I’ve decided to get into Retro PC’s, and one of the issues I’m having is finding a power supply, there doesn’t seem to be much useful information that I can find, or rather a simple answer that points me in the right direction, so I need help, here’s what I know so far:

• New PSU’s have different pin outs as they don’t all contain a 20+4 connectors
  • Older 20 pin motherboards have a different pin out (this is what’s confusing me)
  • The motherboard I want to get (an ECS K7SOM+ 5.2A) mentions requiring these specific pins:
ATX_Wiring (Sorry, it wouldn’t let me add the image for some reason)

The pin outs I’ve found online, show that a 20 pin connector doesn’t match the current 24 pin.
Basically, I just need someone to help me get something that’s either, A. Not going to blow up the motherboard, or B. Not combust into flames, as this is just confusing me, there’s not just one simple answer that I’ve found which explains what will work, and what won’t.

Thanks,
Dan

Solution
I'm not with you at all?? The old 20 pin connector is exactly the same as the more modern 24 pin but with 4 pins disconnected.

The atx psu specification has never changed.

Nearly if not all 24 pin current psus have a split connector to unclip the extra 4 pins.

A modern psu is absolutely fine.
I'm not with you at all?? The old 20 pin connector is exactly the same as the more modern 24 pin but with 4 pins disconnected.

The atx psu specification has never changed.

Nearly if not all 24 pin current psus have a split connector to unclip the extra 4 pins.

A modern psu is absolutely fine.

Reactions: dannymozzer
Solution