Question Reverting Surface tablet back to Windows 8?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
No I'm not using MS account as I can't get in. I have had MAJOR problems with MS over the years mainly because the original email address I had signed up with many years ago I no longer have and could never retrieve it. Many attempts calling MS for tech support is all in vain too.
Seems the solution is to get a new one.

When I have experienced the issue you noted earlier, I just randomly tried a couple times later and it eventually activated.

If this system was previously activated with the current version of Windows, you should be fine.

Reactions: mikehende
Ok so if getting a new Professional license, any specific referrals please since MS no longer supports win 10?
Where did you hear that? Windows 10 is fully supported until the end of 2025 as stated by Microsoft themselves. New retail copies may no longer be sold but there are plenty of retailers with backstock that they would like to get rid of before the end.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Exactly what purpose is this tablet for?

If only internet browsing, why not use Linux? No license issue at all and no bloatwares.

You can burn a Live Linux ISO (Linux Mint Cinnamon, Ubuntu, etc) onto a USB drive and boot from it, then try it without overwrite current Windows installation.

Only install and overwrite installed Windows when you are satisfied. A fast USB is recommended (for example https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BAR-Plus-256GB-MUF-256BE3/dp/B07BPKKTGL).

Last edited:
Reactions: mikehende

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
I have tried Linux before [Ubuntu] and a few others but I would only use it in the situation of a crashed hard drive, I don't like their GUI's. I have no issue having to purchase a win10 license.

@ex-bubblehead. I had seen that in an article on the net a while back.

USAFRet

Titan
I have tried Linux before [Ubuntu] and a few others but I would only use it in the situation of a crashed hard drive, I don't like their GUI's. I have no issue having to purchase a win10 license.

@ex-bubblehead. I had seen that in an article on the net a while back.
But know that WIn 10 support dies a year from now.
It will continue to work, but probably no more updates.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I don't like Ubuntu either, I hate its GUI too, LOL.

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu however it's GUI is completely like Windows. Try it and you will like it. :giggle:

The best part of Linux is there aren't tons of crap processes running in the background.