Question Reverting Surface tablet back to Windows 8?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
No I'm not using MS account as I can't get in. I have had MAJOR problems with MS over the years mainly because the original email address I had signed up with many years ago I no longer have and could never retrieve it. Many attempts calling MS for tech support is all in vain too.
Seems the solution is to get a new one.

When I have experienced the issue you noted earlier, I just randomly tried a couple times later and it eventually activated.

If this system was previously activated with the current version of Windows, you should be fine.

Reactions: mikehende
Ok so if getting a new Professional license, any specific referrals please since MS no longer supports win 10?
Where did you hear that? Windows 10 is fully supported until the end of 2025 as stated by Microsoft themselves. New retail copies may no longer be sold but there are plenty of retailers with backstock that they would like to get rid of before the end.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Exactly what purpose is this tablet for?

If only internet browsing, why not use Linux? No license issue at all and no bloatwares.

You can burn a Live Linux ISO (Linux Mint Cinnamon, Ubuntu, etc) onto a USB drive and boot from it, then try it without overwrite current Windows installation.

Only install and overwrite installed Windows when you are satisfied. A fast USB is recommended (for example https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BAR-Plus-256GB-MUF-256BE3/dp/B07BPKKTGL).

Last edited:

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
I have tried Linux before [Ubuntu] and a few others but I would only use it in the situation of a crashed hard drive, I don't like their GUI's. I have no issue having to purchase a win10 license.

@ex-bubblehead. I had seen that in an article on the net a while back.

USAFRet

Titan
I have tried Linux before [Ubuntu] and a few others but I would only use it in the situation of a crashed hard drive, I don't like their GUI's. I have no issue having to purchase a win10 license.

@ex-bubblehead. I had seen that in an article on the net a while back.
But know that WIn 10 support dies a year from now.
It will continue to work, but probably no more updates.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I don't like Ubuntu either, I hate its GUI too, LOL.

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu however it's GUI is completely like Windows. Try it and you will like it. :giggle:

The best part of Linux is there aren't tons of crap processes running in the background.

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
I don't like Ubuntu either, I hate its GUI too, LOL.

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu however it's GUI is completely like Windows. Try it and you will like it. :giggle:

The best part of Linux is there aren't tons of crap processes running in the background.
I had tried Mint and yes, it's closer to windows than the other I had tried but still not what I would use unless no choice.

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
There still seems to be some activation issues with the device guys. with the activation server issue I think. I tried 2 OEM keys and clicking on the "Activate by phone" option does nothing. What else might I try please?

Where are you getting these keys? Microsoft has disabled a great many stolen/pirated keys over the years, and unless you acquired these keys directly from Microsoft you may well have some of those no longer usable keys in your possession. OEM keys are especially problematic.

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
Where are you getting these keys? Microsoft has disabled a great many stolen/pirated keys over the years, and unless you acquired these keys directly from Microsoft you may well have some of those no longer usable keys in your possession. OEM keys are especially problematic.
Yes but remember, I cant log into MS anymore due to the email change issue so I can't purchase directly from them. I tried purchasing from an online store since no choice. So that being the case, are you saying maybe I might fare better purchasing a 'retail' key instead of an OEM key?

USAFRet

Titan
Yes but remember, I cant log into MS anymore due to the email change issue so I can't purchase directly from them. I tried purchasing from an online store since no choice. So that being the case, are you saying maybe I might fare better purchasing a 'retail' key instead of an OEM key?
What "online store"?

Retail or OEM makes no difference if MS has deactivated them.

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
NO, IT'S NOT that simple!! I had frustratingly tried last year with an MS agent online and he had said I need the old email I had signed up with to access the account, He did help me to create a new account with my new email but every time after that, including now it will not let me login with the new email and password.

And now, seems like one can't get a live agent either over the phone or online anymore.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...r-office-914e6610-2763-47ac-ab36-602a81068235

What is a Microsoft account

A Microsoft account is a free account you use to access many Microsoft devices and services
, such as the web-based email service Outlook.com (also known as hotmail.com, msn.com, live.com), online apps like Word or Excel for the web, Skype, OneDrive, Xbox Live, Bing, Windows, or the Microsoft Store. If you already use any of these services chances are you already have a Microsoft account. Microsoft accounts used to be called "Windows Live ID".

When you create a Microsoft account, you can use any email address as your username, including addresses from Outlook.com, Yahoo! or Gmail.

Last edited:

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
Well guys, here's the latest development. I tried checking the MS Store for the key and could not find one so I contacted Store support and asked the Agent for help. The key costs $199.00 which blew me away!

I then asked him to help me with the MS account login issue, he helped with this and I got logged in with my new email address. But it seems like every time I will need to login to MS, I most likely will need to have to reset my password for the new email.

The license costs what it costs. Now, those other venders are charging so much less because they acquired their inventory via questionable means and whatever they can get counts as profit. Even more confirmation that "You get what you pay for".