Question RGB Fans compatibility with B450 DS3H?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aviv13467

Reputable
Apr 21, 2019
I've just finished building my rig couple days ago and the RGB fans I've ordered have just arrived. Straight away I got into connecting them and unfortunately they didn't work.

Is my motherboard even compatible? Sadly I thought it is and I'm hoping I've just missed something.

Motherboard is Gigabyte B450 DS3H
RGB Fans are Antec Prizm 120MM RGB

Thanks a lot!

May 25, 2018
Your fans should have two cables. Look at the manual and see which one is for RGB and the actual fan. Plug the fan into your board in the system fan header and plug the rgb plug into the splitter. Then plug the splitter into your MOBO. That should just do it.

Aviv13467

Reputable
Apr 21, 2019
Your fans should have two cables. Look at the manual and see which one is for RGB and the actual fan. Plug the fan into your board in the system fan header and plug the rgb plug into the splitter. Then plug the splitter into your MOBO. That should just do it.
I don't. 2 cables for linking between the 2 fans and one for the motherboard.
Your RGB header is behind the audio output connectors in the rear I/O cluster, and appears to be designed to address WS2812 LED strips.

So isn't for RGB Fans?

It's for driving RGB LED strip lighting, but that DOES NOT MEAN that it will not also address RGB fans, depending on the specific LED units used in the fans. Your fan documentation should be more informative on this point of information.

You may find that you will need splitters, or daisy-chaining mini-harnesses to get things going for the LED components of the fans.

Aviv13467

Reputable
Apr 21, 2019
It's for driving RGB LED strip lighting, but that DOES NOT MEAN that it will not also address RGB fans, depending on the specific LED units used in the fans. Your fan documentation should be more informative on this point of information.

You may find that you will need splitters, or daisy-chaining mini-harnesses to get things going for the LED components of the fans.
Yup, I finally found the solution. I only connected one of the M/F connector so both fans will be synced and left the other Male RGB header to the board rgb_header and the fan to the board sys_fan. RGB only required one pin as said but each fan need to be connected. will a splitter do the job or I need a controller because of the voltage and current that need to be supplied to each fan? I currently have 3 PWM fans, only one connected. both RGB fans are disconnected fan wise, RGB is on for the moment until I buy a splitter or controller

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your fans ARE compatible with your mobo.Details follow.

Each fan has THREE cables from it, I believe. One ends in a standard female 4-hole fan connector about 3/8" wide with two ridges running down one side. This will fit onto the mobo's only SYS_FAN header at middle rear of the mobo. Now, that's a small issue right there because there is only one header, and more fans that that. You have not told us how many of these fans you got. But given that the fans use at max 0.18A current per fan, you are allowed to connect up to 5 of them together to the SYS_FAN header. Its max capacity is 1.0 A. To do that you need a Splitter, but you do NOT need a HUB. A SPLITTER has one cable that plugs into a mobo SYS_FAN header, and two or more output cables OR perhaps sets of header pins on a circuit board where you plug in your fans. A HUB (you do not want) has an additional cable that must plug into a SATA or Molex power output connector from the PSU. When you use a Splitter (or a Hub) it will send back to the mobo SYS_FAN header the speed signal from only ONE of its fans (the header cannot handle more), so you will not "see" the speeds of all the fans, but this does NOT affect control of fan speeds.

For up to 5 fans, this unit would do it.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-82-422-017-_-Product

It needs to be fastened down securely so it does not make accidental contact and ground out something. There really should be one fan plugged into the header marked "CPU" (because that is the one that sends back a fan speed), even though that is NOT the real CPU cooler. (Your CPU cooler should be plugged into the CPU_FAN header and is NOT linked to the case fans.)

For three fans you could use one of these.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-12-423-163-_-Product

For two fans use one of these (or a 12" long version of same).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-12-423-160-_-Product

For four fans, get three of those 2-output units and plug two of them into the output arms of the third. The resulting "stack' converts one SYS_FAN header into four outputs.

Now to the RGB lighting systems. Each fan has two cables from it for RGB lights - one input cable with holes (female) and one output cable with pins to connect to the next fan in a "daisy chain" line. In that way you can power and control all the fans' plain RGB lighting units from one mobo plain RGB header where you plug in the first fan of the chain. On your mobo, that header is located at rear middle very close to the SYS_FAN header, and is labelled "LED_CPU". Once that's done you need to go to the Gigabyte website and download their free software utility RGB Fusion and install that. That tool is how you power and control all the RGB lighting units in your fans via the mobo RGB header.

IF you find that the female connector for the RGB header from your fans does NOT fit onto the mobo's LED_CPU header, that may be because Gigabyte uses a slightly different pin spacing from others. Then you might need a small adapter or make your own custom way to do it.

Reactions: AllanGH

Aviv13467

Reputable
Apr 21, 2019
Your fans ARE compatible with your mobo.Details follow.

Each fan has THREE cables from it, I believe. One ends in a standard female 4-hole fan connector about 3/8" wide with two ridges running down one side. This will fit onto the mobo's only SYS_FAN header at middle rear of the mobo. Now, that's a small issue right there because there is only one header, and more fans that that. You have not told us how many of these fans you got. But given that the fans use at max 0.18A current per fan, you are allowed to connect up to 5 of them together to the SYS_FAN header. Its max capacity is 1.0 A. To do that you need a Splitter, but you do NOT need a HUB. A SPLITTER has one cable that plugs into a mobo SYS_FAN header, and two or more output cables OR perhaps sets of header pins on a circuit board where you plug in your fans. A HUB (you do not want) has an additional cable that must plug into a SATA or Molex power output connector from the PSU. When you use a Splitter (or a Hub) it will send back to the mobo SYS_FAN header the speed signal from only ONE of its fans (the header cannot handle more), so you will not "see" the speeds of all the fans, but this does NOT affect control of fan speeds.

For up to 5 fans, this unit would do it.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882422017&Description=coboc fan splitter&cm_re=coboc_fan_splitter--82-422-017--Product

It needs to be fastened down securely so it does not make accidental contact and ground out something. There really should be one fan plugged into the header marked "CPU" (because that is the one that sends back a fan speed), even though that is NOT the real CPU cooler. (Your CPU cooler should be plugged into the CPU_FAN header and is NOT linked to the case fans.)

For three fans you could use one of these.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423163&Description=coboc fan splitter&cm_re=coboc_fan_splitter--12-423-163--Product

For two fans use one of these (or a 12" long version of same).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423160&Description=coboc fan splitter&cm_re=coboc_fan_splitter--12-423-160--Product

For four fans, get three of those 2-output units and plug two of them into the output arms of the third. The resulting "stack' converts one SYS_FAN header into four outputs.

Now to the RGB lighting systems. Each fan has two cables from it for RGB lights - one input cable with holes (female) and one output cable with pins to connect to the next fan in a "daisy chain" line. In that way you can power and control all the fans' plain RGB lighting units from one mobo plain RGB header where you plug in the first fan of the chain. On your mobo, that header is located at rear middle very close to the SYS_FAN header, and is labelled "LED_CPU". Once that's done you need to go to the Gigabyte website and download their free software utility RGB Fusion and install that. That tool is how you power and control all the RGB lighting units in your fans via the mobo RGB header.

IF you find that the female connector for the RGB header from your fans does NOT fit onto the mobo's LED_CPU header, that may be because Gigabyte uses a slightly different pin spacing from others. Then you might need a small adapter or make your own custom way to do it.
Thanks! That what I was looking for

Status
Not open for further replies.