RGB vs DVI/HDMI

takeshix

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Recently I bought this 32" LG 1080 LCD TV and I have a desktop comp with an ATI 46XX card that has 2 DVI and a Svideo output. the first thing I did was hook to the TV's RGB input and to the comp using a RGB to DVI adapter. But naturally I thought i might get a better picture if I went from DVI to the TV's HDMI input. So I bought a DVI/HDMI cable and gave it a try. To my astonishment at the same 1080 resolution I got a "TERRIBLE" picture (the fonts were almost unreadable and the general pic quality just totally sucked) and had to revert back to the RGB to DVI.

Can anyone tell me what happened there?

Like I said I was at same resolution with both hook ups.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Its probably not a 1080p television. most cheaper HDTVs are not HD at all. they have a max res around 1366x768, and downscale and interlace higher res images. so a 1080p image ends up looking horrible.

use a 1366x768 resolution and you should get a much better image (you may need to force an unsupported resolution, since the EDID wont function properly. but you can do that in the display driver.)

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Exactly the same problem my old man got when using the VGA/DVI GPU Adapter to the TV VGA port, which was perfect at 13xx*7xx res. All games were smooth and worked perfectly.

Connected via a HDMI Cable and the picture were blurred and horrible, games were just unplayable. Had to setup the picture in the TV's own menu system to support the 1920x1080 1080p Res. Was nightmare to do, and had to ring up LG themselves to get it sorted in the end.

But works and looks brilliant now, but this is on a HDMI cable itself, not DVI/HDMI (shouldnt make too much difference though)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
the main problem is in the scaling.

when using a digital connection, the TV is left to do the scaling. something its not very good at. When using analogue, your Video card handles scaling and does a better job. Hence why the higher res image looks better on a analogue connection. But the best image by far, comes from using a digital connection and native resolution.

Though when i hook up to my HDTV, i use VGA and set it yo 1366x768. easier, and looks plenty good enough for light gaming and watching movies.

takeshix

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

VGA (RGB) has no limits it can go up to 2048x1536. RGB input can go up to 1080 easily.

DVI is "TECHNICALLY" supposed to have a sharper crisper image but both are capable of the same resolutions.

i don't know where you got 480 from, lol

takeshix

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

It is a 1080 TV I always do my homework before i buy something. Well maybe cables escaped me LoL Had no reason to believe it was such and issue.

LG - 32" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV Model 32LD450

The picture I get with the RGB is a fabulous HD picture and the real reason I wanted to change cables was I needed the RGB cable somewhere else, and thought as long as i need to buy a new cable might as well get a DVI/HDMI cable. hehhe that logic didnt work out so well.

Your second reply about scaling sounds like the issue. This tv had a lot of picture options for the RGB input but only like 4 for HDMI (ratios) and none of them were any good at all.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Nope, some HDTVs are progressive scan, while others are interlaced (with a native res usually about 1366x768 or 1280x720)

that's how they fool people. they think they are buying a nice HDTV for playing their HD content, when in fact it will look horrible at 1920x1080.