[SOLVED] Riddle me this......

Beserklord1234

Reputable
Aug 18, 2016
Boy do I have an absolute mindblower of a problem.

So long story short, im getting these random huge ping spikes that seemed to start out of nowhere. As shown in the image, they are totally ruining games as ill suddely get a huge spike.

Im on a University campus, meaning im connected to their interent. Originally i started to notice this when I was getting randomly dissconnected, I though this was a fault of the university network. After talking to thier support, they informed me that my system was suddely spiking, like a DoS attack. They told me that the networks anti DoS was triggering and tempoarily dissconnecting my computer, at this point I was using an etherent connection.

So I switched to my phone for a solutiom, weird enough. Connected to my phone through usb tethering I dont get any spikes and the connection is normal. At this point I thought it had to be something to do with my ethernet connection. To solve this i went out and bought a good asus pce ac88 wireless card. However this still has the same problem as the ethernet.

Iv tried everything I can think of, even went as far as doing a fresh windows 10 install to rule out any software/virus issues.

Im thinking my motherboard is dying. Anyone got any idea/clues what the problem could be, its been driving me mad for months.

rf9yEtW.png

Solution
First step is to eliminate the possibility that there really is something on your machine do DoS attacks.

I would run the standard malware scans and see if you find something. The next step is to load something like wireshark on your machine so you can actually see what your machine is sending. It should be very obvious if there is a actual attack traffic.

Otherwise it is the standard run tracert and then run constant ping to each hop in the trace to find which hop is causing the problem. If it is your ethernet card it should happen in hop 1 which should be a router at the college
First step is to eliminate the possibility that there really is something on your machine do DoS attacks.

I would run the standard malware scans and see if you find something. The next step is to load something like wireshark on your machine so you can actually see what your machine is sending. It should be very obvious if there is a actual attack traffic.

Otherwise it is the standard run tracert and then run constant ping to each hop in the trace to find which hop is causing the problem. If it is your ethernet card it should happen in hop 1 which should be a router at the college

Solution