[SOLVED] Risk of system getting hacked through the internet or Wi-fi?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Dear everyone

I am not a high profile person or anything like that. I just dislike the idea, that someone with bad intentions could access my personal files, documents, photos etc. (personal diary, baby pictures of my children etc.)

I am not worried about anyone getting a look at my internet traffic / man-in-the-middle attack etc. I am only concerned about, that someone with bad intentions being able to access my personal files.

I assume, that it is not impossible to “hack” my system and get access to my files, but “how hard” would it be for someone commited to the task?

Is the only way to access my files, if they planted malware on my system?

Or if they accessed screen share?

My questions concerns both:

If the person accessed / hacked my wi-fi / home network

Or

Only through the internet

Settings:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Windows login password protected

Windows Defender firewall

No file or folder sharing enabled

Network discovery is turned off

File and printer sharing is turned off

AVG registers threats in real-time

All software drivers etc. fully updated

Wi-fi is password protected

Network / Wi-fi profile: Private

Router security WPA2-Personal

I become uneasy, when I read posts like this, which makes it sound “easy”:

https://www.quora.com/Can-a-hacker-...ugh-Wi-Fi-connection-only/answer/Aaron-Shbeeb

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-hack-a-computer-on-same-network/answer/Harshit-Dangwal

Please let me know, if I shall add more info concerning the above.

Thanks in advance for replying

Best regards

Solution
Dear everyone

I am not a high profile person or anything like that. I just dislike the idea, that someone with bad intentions could access my personal files, documents, photos etc. (personal diary, baby pictures of my children etc.)

I am not worried about anyone getting a look at my internet traffic / man-in-the-middle attack etc. I am only concerned about, that someone with bad intentions being able to access my personal files.

I assume, that it is not impossible to “hack” my system and get access to my files, but “how hard” would it be for someone commited to the task?

If the person...

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
If a resource needs a password to access it, then it needs a password.
Shared folder, router log in, whatever...
If a "hacker" has access to my network via Wi-fi password or cable, the person would still have to know my Windows user password, to be able to access my system?

If a "hacker" don't have access to my network, the person would still have to know my Windows user password, to be able to access my system external / through the internet?

You wrote earlier:
"But first, they'd have to get past the router."
Router firewall?
Or router passwords for Wi-fi?

Are those default shared folders in Windows? (The screenshot above in the thread)

Can those folders be compromised, infected etc. like regular shared folders? (The folders on the screenshot)

File and Printer sharing is only available, when Network Discovery is turned ON?

When Network Discovery is turned OFF, are the Default folders presented in the Command Prompt screenshot still available on the network?

When Network Discovery is turned off, is it then impossible for a hacker, who has access to my network, to see and locate my PC system?

Please excuse my endless questions. I really appreciate your help.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. If they know your WiFi password or are attached with a cable, you have much bigger problems
  2. If they don't have access, even knowing the password won't help them
  3. Yes
  4. Yes
  5. They are the same folders, just showing different properties
  6. Yes
  7. Network Discovery OFF = other systems cannot Discover yours
  8. Nothing is "impossible".Just very very unlikely

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
  1. If they know your WiFi password or are attached with a cable, you have much bigger problem
But the password would still be an extra layer of security?

1. If they don't have access, even knowing the password won't help them

Again, wanted to make sure it is another layer of security, on top of Router firewall, PC firewalls etc.

Router firewall?

Again, thank you for your many replies!

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
  1. If they know your WiFi password or are attached with a cable, you have much bigger problems
  2. If they don't have access, even knowing the password won't help them
  3. Yes
  4. Yes
  5. They are the same folders, just showing different properties
  6. Yes
  7. Network Discovery OFF = other systems cannot Discover yours
  8. Nothing is "impossible".Just very very unlikely
Router firewall?

When File and Printer sharing is turned OFF, is it then impossible for someone on my network to see / locate my shared folders / Windows default shared folders?

Dear everyone

Or

Settings:

https://www.quora.com/Can-a-hacker-...ugh-Wi-Fi-connection-only/answer/Aaron-Shbeeb

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-hack-a-computer-on-same-network/answer/Harshit-Dangwal

Best regards

The answer is "yes" to both. And if they are well trained hackers/state actors they can hack your wifi from a quarter mile away or more with the proper equipment. The tools to do this are available from common retailers.

HOWEVER The likely hood of you being directly targeted is slim to none unless you are doing something stupid. That doesn't mean you won't be a target phising attacks which throw a large net out to a number of random people in the hopes one of them will click the malicious link.

The only thing you can do is buy some PROPER anti virus, set up a PROPER FIREWALL, and practice the 3-2-1 backup principal on a PROPER NAS and update regularly on a standard account. 99% of people don't bother because it's above them. They just want to surf and not care. Also restrict admittance to your network based on MAC tables. And get notified when a new MAC (Network device) attaches to your network.

Solution
Just to be clear.

If you are carrying a mobile phone in your pocket, and like most folks is the primary way in which you take pictures, surf, communicate....your PC is the LEAST of your worries.
#Truth.

Android and iPhone are FULL of security holes. Apples just recently had a severe webkit exploit used actively this past week. If that phone is connected to that network, it can be used to launch other attacks on connected systems.

Also older network devices like old network printers that no one would think twice about can be hacked and turned into a zombie machine to attack other devices. I notified IT that WannaCry SMBv1 attacks were coming from our work network printer. They gave me a blank stare of "What are you talking about? That's not possible" Until I told them it's running the same defective network stack and windows CE as the printer interface.

Old Molases

Prominent
May 3, 2021
Dear everyone

Or

Settings:

Best regards
I think that using a VPN can help you stay secure, as your data packets would difficult to trace and get hold of. The reason being VPN connects you through a virtual server concealing your real identity. I am not saying that you will be 100% safe, but it would complicate things for people with bad intentions at heart. Mind you free VPN are not to be trusted upon when it comes to privacy and anonymity. You need have a paid subscription for reputable service provider such as Ivacy, Express, or Nord.