Question Rog Strix B450 Dram LED blinking, won’t POST any ideas?

Dec 2, 2019
My PC ->
  • MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming Motherboard (ATX) AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 B450
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler - YD260XBCAFBOX
  • GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 192-bit HDMI/DP 6GB GDRR6 HDCP Support DirectX 12 Dual Fan VR Ready OC Graphics Card (GTX 1660 TI Ventus XS 6G OC)
  • PSU: Thermaltake 650W 80+ bronze certified
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)
  • Storage: Kingston 120GB SSD
  • Case: Phanteks PH-EC416PTG_WT Eclipse P400 Steel ATX Mid Tower Case Glacier White, Tempered Glass Edition Cases

Hello everyone, I recent put together this build and after attempting to boot, all components are working and powering on but the DRAM light(indicated by my motherboard manual) on my mother board comes on immediately and keeps blinking in ~1 sec intervals.

I have tried the following:

Everything on this list: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Tried 2 separate working Power supplies.
Thermaltake 650W & Corsair CX 430

Two separate orders of my RAM. One original pair 16BG, 2x8, one replacement. Tried with the seating recommended by manual A2, B2. Then each individual stick in each slot, one at a time, then two at a time 8 variations(Have to pay restock fee now :( ughh )

Booted up motherboard outside of case with key components: MOBO, RAM, CPU, plugged into monitor via integrated graphics card.

Checked CPU, looks like there’s a pin that could be slightly slanted.

I am desperate to fix this issue and I feel like I have tried everything short of replacing the motherboard. Looking for any advice that’ll help me understand this problem and next steps to take to find a solution.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Are you 100% sure that the 8 pin CPU power cable and 24 pin power cableare properly seated in the PSU and the MB ?

Also have you checked to make sure that CPU cooler isn't overtightened ?
If the cooler is too tight it can cause the CPU to not recognize the RAM (this is a fairly common issue).

I have that same MB with a 2600 (OC'd to 4 GHZ) and 16 GB of G.Skill 3200 Trident Z RGB RAM (OC'd to 3400) and it works very well.
And I have had the yellow RAM LED light up a few times when I was testing RAM OC's I never had it flash on and off, it always just stayed lit when there was a RAM issue.

I would remove the CPU cooler and re-install it and be sure to just tighten it down until snug even if the screws aren't fully tightened.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
Sheesh, I never thought about that. When I was building, I actually had a problem where the CPU cooler only really latched down on one side and to compensate for that, I put a lot of force into pushing the cooler into the board just so that the other side of the cooler's screws would reach the slot. It is extremely tight on there and screwed in all the way in so I believe I may have overtightened it. If I try this and it does not work, would you agree that the next step might be that the RAM slots are dead/RMA or replace the motherboard?

I will double-check the 8 pin & 24-pin cables but I am pretty sure I did that correctly. I watched a video that made me think I could have possibly put it on upside down but I feel like it really only goes in one way naturally with the latch. I have tried this with two separate power supplies outside the case and they latch the same.

This has been a huge headache, I appreciate your response and suggestion!