Question Roll back windows on Kurio tablet?

klear6

Honorable
Aug 24, 2015
I got a kurio tablet/pc for my 7 year old. it is his first computer and I am really looking forward to teaching him to use it. 😃 except....it came with windows 10 as it's os. I knew it would have that os, but I wasn't sure how it would handle it. short answer: not well. the thing just doesn't have the power it needs to be even close to smooth with win 10. it's just...not good....

analso, personally, I hate windows 10. I hate everything about it. it is heavy, sometimes intrusive. I dont like the layout. the thing that bothers me most is how they dumbed it down - I guess to make it more "user friendly"? I don't really want my kid to have a watered down and kind of warped version of windows as his first os. he should have something simple that teaches the way windows functions as it will be the os I teach him first.

I started using a computer when I was three.. I was lucky enough to have a 👽Dad👽 who is an electronics engineer so we had computers way before most other people. technically I started with DOS but I don't remember it. the gui version of windows came out not long after I started learning. I had a lot of fun with my 👽Dad👽 as we spent time sharing a genuine love for anything tech. I want my son to have those good memories also. he hasnt been getting as much attention as he deserves because we really have our hands full considering his little brother and sister are autistic and quite a hyper.

sorry, I got off track. just reflecting and remebering. I am not taking that part out bc it doesnt hurt anyone and maybe it would help someone else remember good times. things kind of suck right now, if you guys haven't noticed. and I have insomnia at 3 am so....it is what it is. lol.

after he knows the backbone of what windows really IS, he can choose whether or not to use 10. I need a stable and efficient os. it shouldn't be shiny, it should be stable and the settings should be readily available so he can learn how to use them.

did you guys know that at Microsoft they have all of their employees (at least tech support) using windows xp? they push 10 out to consumers, but they aren't going to use it. they know better. 10 is too weirdly arranged and even 7 can be too heavy for older machines. really it depends on the version. I use 7 on my PCs just because I know how to take the advantage of my knowledge on how to how to manipulate it. but, as for my son, I dont think think he needs all the features and it would just weigh down the hardware. he's basically only going to be using a browser, a simple word processor, a few old games which I have collected for forever, and maybe skype. and an emulator.

ok, sorry for the long setup. it was a lot of info for one question. basically, I need I know how to replace win 10 with win xp on a kurio tablet. how do I do that? do I just use rufus and the rom and plug it into the micro USB for when it boots? or is it more complicated than that?

thanks for the help guys

Lutfij

Titan
Setting your bashing of Microsoft aside, might it be possible to mention the model for your Kurio Tablet? The one I'm seeing is said to be on an Android platform. Finding an XP ISO at this point of time, like Windows 7, will be impossible unless you want to risk going through dodgy means and have stowaways onboard.

USAFRet

Titan
did you guys know that at Microsoft they have all of their employees (at least tech support) using windows xp?
No they don't.

I got a kurio tablet/pc for my 7 year old. it is his first computer and I am really looking forward to teaching him to use it. 😃 except....it came with windows 10 as it's os. I knew it would have that os, but I wasn't sure how it would handle it. short answer: not well. the thing just doesn't have the power it needs to be even close to smooth with win 10. it's just...not good....

basically, I need I know how to replace win 10 with win xp on a kurio tablet. how do I do that? do I just use rufus and the rom and plug it into the micro USB for when it boots? or is it more complicated than that?

thanks for the help guys
Almost certainly you cannot.
There won't be any drivers for the touchscreen or WiFi.
The motherboard chipset and BIOS won't know how to talk to XP.

In addition...as much as people now love the previously hated and despised XP, it is looong out of any support. It is absolutely not getting any security updates.
I wouldn't use one connected to the outside world, and certainly not for a 7 year old.

klear6

Honorable
Aug 24, 2015
Setting your bashing of Microsoft aside, might it be possible to mention the model for your Kurio Tablet? The one I'm seeing is said to be on an Android platform. Finding an XP ISO at this point of time, like Windows 7, will be impossible unless you want to risk going through dodgy means and have stowaways onboard.
Yah I know what you mean. And I don't hate microsoft. I grew up on it. But that also means I get to learn everything about it that can frustrate a person. lol. Seriously, I think they are beaten up too much by people. They make solid software. But there have been mistakes and also different people are more comfortable with different things, you know? I have Kali as a dual boot on my netbook but all the rest run Windows 7. It's just what I am best with. I'm so sorry, I thought I had put in the model number!

It is a C1500 https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/kurio-smart-2-in-1

Look at the review and you will see what I am talking about =P

And I actually have at least a few XP disks. And 7....and ME (don't tell anyone about the last one).

They do make Android stuff apparently, I had him working with a kids Galaxy Tab 3 when he was little. But I really think it is time to become more proficient at using a "real" computer. He has a lot of school stuff that can be done online, and he needs to learn to type. The keyboard is a little weird because it remaps some characters to a function key and it is super uncomfortable for me, but it fits his hands perfectly. I had to try to find the least destroyable netbook that was pretty cheap. Have to do Christmas & Hanukkah for 4 kids and I am always the techie Santa. They really didn't test them properly, or they really just didn't care. The hardware doesnt match the software and it really shows. It was one of their "oops" devices I guess. A lot of their other stuff has good reviews. The computer lab at his school uses Windows anyways.

Also, I think that they have probably stored some legit copies of WinXP on the Wayback Machine. (OK, I am not positive, I just think of all the software they keep posted from decent sites that windows would be among it)

Should I grab the ISO off the CDrom and stick it on a flash drive to boot from?

Weirder and somewhat evolved question: Can you run Win XP as a portable bootable flash drive system?

klear6

Honorable
Aug 24, 2015
No they don't.

In addition...as much as people now love the previously hated and despised XP, it is looong out of any support. It is absolutely not getting any security updates.
I wouldn't use one connected to the outside world, and certainly not for a 7 year old.

As for Windows tech help and their OS, I am not making it up! And it is not like from a friends cousins violins teachers half-brothers half-baked idea! OK, what happened is this:
I have this pain of a laptop that was totally dead but I needed to revive it. But it had a chunk of the hard drive corrupted, and part of it was on the recovery drive so I only had like, most of a hard drive to work with, and it kept booting to the "Choose your operating system" screen which showed me 2 options
Windows 7
or
Windows 7.
Whatever I picked, it would just reboot. And loop like that over and over.
Tried everything to fix it. Couldn't fully uninstall windows, couldn't reinstall over it, I don't think I could even get it to read a flash drive properly.
I tried to fix it every way I could think of, and was getting really frustrated and everyone kept telling me to throw it away. I wasn't going to let that Compaq win! I was pulling my hair out. It was like 1 AM and I had run out of things to try.

Now don't think I am bashing Microsoft, bc I am not, but their customer service, for me at least, has always been awful. Maybe it's just me, but they seem second only to Tmobile >(

I hate talking on the phone, it freaks me out so I went to the accessability chat support and they transferred me up to real tech and then (where they told me to turn it off and back on againon to a

klear6

Honorable
Aug 24, 2015
No they don't.

As for Windows tech help and their OS, I am not making it up! And it is not like from a friends cousins

violin teachers half-brothers dryer gnomes half-baked idea! OK, what happened is this:

I have this pain of a laptop that was totally dead but I needed to revive it. But it had a chunk of the

hard drive corrupted, and part of it was on the recovery drive so I only had like, most of a hard drive to

work with, and it kept booting to the "Choose your operating system" screen which showed me 2 options

Windows 7

or

Windows 7.

Tried everything to fix it. Couldn't fully uninstall windows, couldn't reinstall over it, I don't think I

could even get it to read a flash drive properly.

I tried to fix it every way I could think of, and was getting really frustrated and everyone kept telling

me to throw it away. I wasn't going to let that Compaq win! I was pulling my hair out. It was like 1 AM

and I had run out of things to try.

Now don't think I am bashing Microsoft, bc I am not, but their customer service, for me at least, has

always been awful. Maybe it's just me, but they seem second only to Tmobile >(

I hate talking on the phone, it freaks me out so I went to the accessability chat support and they

transferred me up to real tech and then (after they told me to turn it off and back on again and informed

me the CD tray wasn't a cup-holder) they transferred me to a department that was the ACTUAL tech support

and I ended up with a suprisingly nice guy helping me out.

He wasn't supposed to help with me if I hadn't purchased anything but I told him I've had practically

every Windows version since it came out. It was a couple years ago and it probably wouldn't still work,

but he told me to find one of my Windows 7 serial numbers bc it was still technically being supported.

Barely. So I had to find a valid one so I kept reading them off to him until one of them worked as being

a first install (the guy was SUPER nice, he really didn't care if I had bought anything, and I think he

was bored with hearing the same problems over and over).

He had a couple good ideas I hadn't come up with and we tried them one by one. After he said to try

everything I had tried, he fed me some command lines and we could tell where the problem was. There was

no GUI and I was really little the last time I really worked without one...

He stayed in the chat with me while I reinstalled Windows. Which takes a pretty long time, longer than I

remembered. We had to try a couple of times to repartition the hard drive properly to like totally cut

off access to anywhere that was corrupted so it stopped trying to read from there. By the time we figured

it out I had him sit with me through THREE windows installs and by the time we were finished it had been

almost 4 and a half hours of work.

Needless to say, we had some time to chat while we waited for the installs!!! The guy was amazing. We were

talking about how we learned computers as long back as we could remember and he said he lived in India and

he had grown up using Linux, and that where he lives (don't remember which part of india) it is common to

have linux installed on classroom computers and such and that at his other jobs he only needed to use

linux. Which was cool bc I was getting ready to try Linux and he gave me some pointers. he said that

when he started with tech support (at the job he had as a techie wherever he worked before microsoft) he

had to learn how to use windows for the first time and it was awkward for him at first. They had him

using windows 7. But he got good at it and got hired to work for Microsoft.

Somehow we got onto the topic of my husbands very very very (very) old laptop which can only run using XP,

and that my husband swears by that OS no matter what. I used XP, it was fine for me, better than Vista

which I kinda should have skipped maybe. And he said that it was weird for him because he got really

familiar with 7 at his old job (he seemed really smart, and he learned a lot if he could help me with this

stuff). But when he transferred to MS he was expecting that they would make sure he got to use 10 mostly.

But when he transferred and moved away from his family (parents and such) to go work there, they had

every single person using XP.

I asked him why, and he said that it was the same reason my husband is so stuck on it. It's very stable

and lets you work on windows pretty quickly when you install it barebones. And that's true. So I

conceded my "7 is the master OS ever created by MS" argument. Maybe it was just in the part of India

where he worked? I talked to him for a long time and there wasn't anything else about my conversation

with him to make me doubt what he said, and that would be a pretty weird random thing to lie about in the

middle of an otherwise pretty standard conversation. So, that's all I know, but it is true. So there.

=P (btw sorry if you get notified of this twice, my finger slipped and my browser crashed and it posted it halfway done)

Last edited:

klear6

Honorable
Aug 24, 2015
No they don't.

As for Windows tech help and their OS, I am not making it up! And it is not like from a friends cousins violins teachers half-brothers half-baked idea! OK, what happened is this:
I have this pain of a laptop that was totally dead but I needed to revive it. But it had a chunk of the hard drive corrupted, and part of it was on the recovery drive so I only had like, most of a hard drive to work with, and it kept booting to the "Choose your operating system" screen which showed me 2 options
Windows 7
or
Windows 7.
Tried everything to fix it. Couldn't fully uninstall windows, couldn't reinstall over it, I don't think I could even get it to read a flash drive properly.
I tried to fix it every way I could think of, and was getting really frustrated and everyone kept telling me to throw it away. I wasn't going to let that Compaq win! I was pulling my hair out. It was like 1 AM and I had run out of things to try.

Now don't think I am bashing Microsoft, bc I am not, but their customer service, for me at least, has always been awful. Maybe it's just me, but they seem second only to Tmobile >(

I hate talking on the phone, it freaks me out so I went to the accessability chat support and they transferred me up to real tech and then (where they told me to turn it off and back on againon to a

Let me put little bit more salt in your wounds.
  • WayBack machines do not keep (legit) copies of WinXP, for the simple reason such copy was never present on Microsoft site in the first place. Even then, these ISOs were not on regular static URLs, crawlable and searchable;
  • I would not be surprised if that Kerio has semi-locked UEFI-only BIOS.
  • I would not be surprised if inside that Kerio you'll find glorified phone motherboard;
  • finally (and I'd hate to say it), but you get what you pay for. $200 for Windows 10 machine will let you browse, and play YT, but not much else.
  • and I will not even talk about why a 7yo needs powerful laptop/tablet.
And if you're really looking for adventure - try some light Linux distro, like Lubuntu. You can even try it off USB

klear6

Honorable
Aug 24, 2015
No they don't.

Good point about the BIOS. Duh. Did people really hate XP? I was still a kid and I didn't know any better. Worked fine for me.

I found a really cool program called screenwatcher that does an extremely good job of locking down any app including windows explorer windows from being used unless I enter the password. Which I only do when I am teaching him. Otherwise he has netflix and pictures, videos, music, and an SNES emulator that aren't on lockdown.

klear6

Honorable
Aug 24, 2015
Let me put little bit more salt in your wounds.
  • WayBack machines do not keep (legit) copies of WinXP, for the simple reason such copy was never present on Microsoft site in the first place. Even then, these ISOs were not on regular static URLs, crawlable and searchable;
  • I would not be surprised if that Kerio has semi-locked UEFI-only BIOS.
  • I would not be surprised if inside that Kerio you'll find glorified phone motherboard;
  • finally (and I'd hate to say it), but you get what you pay for. $200 for Windows 10 machine will let you browse, and play YT, but not much else.
  • and I will not even talk about why a 7yo needs powerful laptop/tablet.
And if you're really looking for adventure - try some light Linux distro, like Lubuntu. You can even try it off USB
You people are fast!!!

Hm..Yeah, I guess you are right, they wouldn't have a reason for an ISO at that time...I could have sworn that somebody at microsoft gave me a link to an ISO for a version of windows at some point but it must not have been XP.

Yeah I know I know. But seriously, it was all I had to work with and at the time it seemed like a good purchase. He kept begging for a computer like his older brother and I didn't want to discourage him, I like spending time teaching them =)

And I am not complaining that it won't run GIMP or brand new games, the thing is soooooo sluggish it won't even properly handle the word processor or edge. Which is bad. But, I did get an internet upgrade which might help a bit. (with the browser not the documents)

And as for linux, I did end up installing that on my netbook. I've been messing with Kali and I really like it, but I am not good enough to teach it yet.

I think I am probably stuck with what they put on there, but I need a good list of any possible thing I can disable so theat it has more power...