Room tempature causing issue with CPU heat

dthomason119

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I have a bit of a problem with cooling my CPU. My office is pointing to the west of my house which mean at about 12pm the sun starts to really cook, making that room a furnish until the sun sets. All the air in the room is hot, so circulating hot air into a tower that is already hot is creating heating problems. My question is; in this situation, would liquid cooling offer better temperatures for my CPU?

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
It might offer you better temps but i think you would have a hard time getting the water cooler than ambient temps. I think a better investment might be a little air conditioning unit. You can get them cheaper than a watercooling setup and it will cool the whole room down and give you better temps. Just a thought.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
It might offer you better temps but i think you would have a hard time getting the water cooler than ambient temps. I think a better investment might be a little air conditioning unit. You can get them cheaper than a watercooling setup and it will cool the whole room down and give you better temps. Just a thought.

dthomason119

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I have actually considered that, but congress [my wife] vetoed that idea before it hit the congressional floor. I'm actually going to install the thermaltake bigwater se today or tomorrow, plus rewire the inside of the case with a modular PSU for better air flow and see what happens. Thanks for the idea.

dthomason119

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I have done that, but too know avail. It's still circulating hot air. The air is hot on the other side of the window as well, or until the sun completely sets. I should have gave my kids that room! Just kidding!

sailer

Splendid
Here is a wild idea that I tried one summer. First I took of a side panel. Then I put some ice in some plastic bags and placed a fan behind the ice so it would blow over the ice bags and into the computer. It did help considerably. The next year I hooked up some air conditioning ductwork and now have cool air to start with, so have no need of the ice.

Oh yeah, I did have to keep a ready supply of ice and I could toss the melted ice water back into the freezer to refreeze while using a fresh bag of ice. Using the plastic bags kept any melting water from being blown into the computer. It worked, or at least it helped with the otherwise hot conditions.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
you said the west side become real hot, but is there any other outside wall pointing another side?
You can put and exhaust fan blowing the hot air towards west, and put a sucking fan on another wall that does not take direct sunlight.

you can put those solar films, preferably a metallic one, on your window

DaddyLyuLyu

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Here a crazy idea. When my room got hot, we used aluminum foils to cover most of the window. We used multiple layers but we left enough room for a square fan to blow out during summer time. The room temp dropped considerably but it was also darker - of course. It's a trade-of, but in the interest of keeping things cool during hot summer days, this might be the cheapest and most easily implemented way.

Just my two cents.

TTFN

DaddyLyuLyu

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Here a crazy idea. When my room got hot, we used aluminum foils to cover most of the window. We used multiple layers but we left enough room for a square fan to blow out during summer time. The room temp dropped considerably but it was also darker - of course. It's a trade-of, but in the interest of keeping things cool during hot summer days, this might be the cheapest and most easily implemented way.

Just my two cents.

TTFN

dthomason119

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Thanks, I was going to try that solution, but my wife didn't think that would be cosmetically appealing. I will tell her that I need to spend more "community" [her] money for cooling products unless we try the foil. If my new improved setup doesn't work, I’ll just use my laptops.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I can't believe how ghetto some people have gone. I bet if those same people mow their grass they will probably find a car up on blocks. :p

In reply to the original question, long term solution might be to plant a tree outside. Paint the house light colors. Put an awning over the windows (also semi-ghetto, IMO).