[SOLVED] Router acting as a repeater.

wizacs

Reputable
Jan 19, 2020
So, I have one router in my house that is the main AP, I want another router as a repeater in my garage, but I don't want them to "communicate" with each other, I mean, if my printer is connected to the AP, I don't want to see it if I'm connected with my phone to the second router in my garage.
I heard about client mode, but I don't really know what it is.
I'd like to make something like a LAN to WAN, but obviously, it would be impossible since the routers are distant from each other.

Last edited:
Solution
All you need is to use client mode and use your second router as a router as a client to your first. Be sure to use a different IP subnet too. Neither of the devices should be able to see the other.

wizacs

Reputable
Jan 19, 2020
Alright, in client mode the router is only available with ethernet ports, right?
Could I connect the router in client mode to an AP to have a wireless connection?

That's a good question--I'm not sure. If it cannot act as an ap while it is acting as an ap client, then your idea of connecting another ap would work. Although all those wireless signals in the same space will wreak havoc with each other if they're overlapping channels and whatnot.

kanewolf

Titan
So, I have one router in my house that is the main AP, I want another router as a repeater in my garage, but I don't want them to "communicate" with each other, I mean, if my printer is connected to the AP, I don't want to see it if I'm connected with my phone to the second router in my garage.
I heard about client mode, but I don't really know what it is.
I'd like to make something like a LAN to WAN, but obviously, it would be impossible since the routers are distant from each other.
You don't want "client" mode. You want "client router" mode. That is where a WIFI signal is treated as "the internet" and a new NAT'ed network is created behind the router. I don't know how many devices support client router mode. I had an Engenius outdoor bridge that could run in client router mode.